S’mores Overload Cupcakes
S’mores season will be here before we know it! Traditionally S’mores are made with a roasted marshmallow and chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers and are enjoyed around a campfire. However, there are so many different variations of s’mores now. Just go on Pinterest and do a search for s’mores and you’ll see countless ways to enjoy this summer treat. Today I have a decadent cupcake recipe you can make at home…no campfire required! It’s everything you love about s’mores but in a cupcake form. My sweet tooth is calling….
S'mores Overload Cupcakes
- 1½ cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups icing sugar (also known as powdered sugar)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup whole milk (do not use 2% or skim)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Graham Cracker
- Hershey’s chocolate bar
- Marshmallow Sauce
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini Marshmallows
- Chocolate Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking soda, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine both sugars and the butter. With an electric mixer, cream on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and stir until well incorporated.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients and ½ cup of milk. Mix on low speed until well incorporated. Repeat with the rest of the dry ingredients and remaining ½ cup milk. Mix on low speed until well blended.
- Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full and place in oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes (rotate half-way through) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place cupcake pans on wire racks to cool for 20 minutes. Remove cupcakes from the pans and place directly on the wire racks to cool completely (at least one hour).
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter with an electric mixer. Gradually, add the milk and icing sugar (alternating) and beat on low speed until well incorporated. Add the cocoa powder and beat on low speed for an additional minute. Add the salt and vanilla extract and mix on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add frosting to a pastry bag with a tip (or use the Ziploc bag method) and frost the cupcakes. I used a Wilton 1M tip.
- Drizzle marshmallow sauce, sprinkle mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows on top cupcakes; top with a piece of graham cracker and Hershey’s chocolate bar. Drizzle Hershey’s chocolate sauce all over on top. Makes 18 regular cupcakes or 10 Jumbo cupcakes.