These chocolatey Chex Mix muddy buddies are an easy no-bake dessert that’s quick to make and so addicting! S’mores puppy chow is a grab-and-go snack like campfire s’mores!
No time to bake? No problem! This chocolate and marshmallow snack mix is perfect for any party – campouts, movie nights, or any summer outings you might take. It elevates traditional puppy chow with chocolatey goodness. After you make it once, kids will beg for this yummy snack again. Thankfully, it’s a quick dessert that takes little time to throw together.
It’s a no-bake recipe that doesn’t even require chill time. You can make it last minute and serve it right away! The best part is that this delicious treat can be changed to suit your tastes – add creamy peanut butter, graham cracker pieces, or your favorite corn cereal! Take this sweet treat on road trips or serve this delicious snack at birthday parties.
Why You’ll Love S’mores Puppy Chow
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Easy to customize with your favorite cereal
- S’mores taste without the mess
- Perfect thing to add to individual snack bags at parties
- No wait time, making it the perfect last-minute dessert or snack
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
- Chex Chocolate cereal: Just like a classic puppy chow recipe, Chex cereal is the first ingredient. To give it a campfire twist, use chocolate cereal.
- Golden Grahams cereal: This cereal tastes just like graham crackers.
- Peanut butter chips: You’ll melt them and create a sweet and salty peanut butter mixture.
- Milk chocolate chips: You’ll melt them with the peanut butter chips.
- Shortening: This helps the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips combine.
- Powdered sugar: You’ll dust the powdered sugar on the sweet snack mix.
- Mini marshmallows: These little marshmallows are a fun twist on traditional puppy chow and are what makes them taste like actual s’mores.
- Graham cracker teddy bears: This is optional, but something like Teddy Grahams adds something fun to this simple treat.
- Hershey’s Chocolate Bars: Don’t skip the chocolate in this cereal mix! It’s the best part.
How to Make S’mores Puppy Chow
- Step One: In a medium size microwaveable safe bowl, add peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and shortening and microwave on high for 1 min; stir and continue to heat at 30 seconds intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- Step Two: In a big bowl, combine Chex cereal and 3 cups of Golden Grahams. Pour the peanut butter and chocolate mixture over the cereal and mix until well combined.
- Step Three: Pour cereal mixture into a gallon-size freezer bag and add powdered sugar. Shake until cereal is completely coated.
- Step Four: Once cereal is completely coated, pour the bag onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Gently add in the remaining cup of golden grahams, marshmallows and Hershey chocolate bar pieces.
- Step Five: Store in an airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Medium bowl – Make sure it is a microwave-safe bowl
- Rubber spatula – You need this to mix the melted chocolate chips with the peanut butter chips.
- Large mixing bowl – Get a large bowl big enough to hold the entire s snack mix.
- Gallon-sized freezer bag – A large Ziploc bag makes mixing everything easier without the mess.
- Airtight food storage container – You’ll need something airtight to store your cereal treat in.
What to Serve with S’mores Puppy Chow
This puppy chow mix is the perfect thing to serve at parties. If you love the chocolate-peanut butter combination, then it will be a great addition to the snack table with these recipes:
- Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ramen Bars
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
Variations and Substitutions
- Use a different type of Chex cereal. For example, use plain Chex instead of chocolate.
- Add sprinkles. This adds some fun pizazz to the recipe.
- Change the type of chocolate bar. Use dark chocolate for a richer flavor.
- Combine salty and sweet flavors. Mix in some mini pretzels or chopped peanuts.
- Peppermint puppy chow. Add chopped peppermint white chocolate to the mix and call it reindeer chow or sprinkle some peppermint candies.
This chocolate muddy buddy mix doesn’t contain any ingredients that need to be refrigerated. Store them in an airtight food storage container at room temperature for up to one week. They will stay fresh for two weeks if you don’t use marshmallows. This is because the marshmallows tend to stiffen after about a week.
Can I Freeze?
No, this recipe doesn’t freeze well. If you freeze it, it will have a funky texture when you thaw it.
S’mores Puppy Chow Bars Tips and Tricks
- Melt the chocolate and peanut butter chips slowly at 30-second intervals.
- Make sure the plastic bag is sealed completely before mixing the powdered sugar. It’s very messy!
- Remember to line your baking sheet with parchment paper, making clean-up easier.
What Is Puppy Chow?
It goes by many names, but this snack mix is Chex cereal coated in chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. From that base, there are many ways to make and change it up.
Is Puppy Chow Dog-Friendly?
No, even though it’s called puppy chow, dogs should not eat it. It contains chocolate, which is toxic to dogs in large quantities.
Other Names For Puppy Chow
It’s called puppy chow in the Midwest – Wisconsin, Michigan, and surrounding states. Other areas might call it muddy munch, monkey munch, or muddy buddies. Some places even call it a doggy bag!
- Reese’s Pieces
- Mini Pretzels
- Marshmallow Bits
- Graham Cracker Crumbs
Even though it’s called puppy chow in the Midwest, you’ll find variations of this recipe throughout the United States. It just might be called something different.
This recipe makes ten servings.
Yes, you can make this recipe without any peanuts at all. Just melt the chocolate chips with the shortening. This will be sweet enough, and the powdered sugar will still be able to coat the cereal pieces.
Want more easy snack recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
- Reindeer Chow: This is a festive Christmas version of this classic snack.
- Caramel Marshmallow Popcorn: If you love the flavor of marshmallows, then you’ll love this sweet snack.
- Pretzel Hugs: Pink, red, and white, this dessert is perfect for Valentine’s Day.
- Air Fryer Potato Chips: These taste and look just like store-bought chips!
- Maple Almond Popcorn: Another wonderful choice for movie nights at home.
You’ll also like these Strawberry S’mores.
S’mores Puppy Chow
- 4 cups Chex chocolate cereal
- 4 cups Golden Grahams cereal divided
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup graham cracker teddy bears
- 1 cup Hershey's chocolate bars broken into pieces
- In a medium size microwave-safe bowl, add peanut butter chips, chocolate chips and shortening. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and continue to heat at 30 second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Chex cereal and 3 cups of Golden Grahams. Pour peanut butter and chocolate mixture over the cereal and mix until well combined.
- Pour cereal mixture into a large freezer bag and add powdered sugar. Shake until the cereal is completely coated.
- Once cereal is coated, pour the bag onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Gently add in remaining cup of Golden Grahams, marshmallows and Hershey chocolate bar pieces. Store in an airtight container.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.