This sweet and salty Christmas Chex Mix is a must-make Christmas treat for the holiday season. Reindeer Chow is easy to make, festive and makes a colorful edible gift.
This is a recipe that you may have seen before because it has so many names. Christmas Chex Mix. Muddy Buddies, Puppy Chow. Reindeer Chow and more I’m sure.
This version is made with a mixture of Rice Chex cereal that has been sweetened with powdered sugar, peanut butter, cocoa powder and sprinkled with holiday M&Ms and chocolate chips. SOOO good and addicting, too!
I put it out at holiday parties or when guests drop by to give them a sweet snack to munch on while we catch up. It’s hard to stop at just one bite!
Why You’ll Love Chex Mix Muddy Buddies
- It’s an easy to make no-bake recipe
- Simple to customize to suit your family’s tastes
- Kid-friendly recipe that they can help make
- Sweet snack that everyone loves
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes
Ingredients to Make Reindeer Chow
This post contains affiliate links.
- Rice Chex cereal: Any kind of Chex cereal will work or you can use Crispix cereal.
- Powdered sugar: Also known as confectioner’s sugar or icing sugar (as we call it in Canada).
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Not the dutch processed cocoa powder which is treated an alkaline solution.
- Semisweet chocolate chips: Milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips will also work.
- Creamy peanut butter: You could try other nut butters here if you like. I don’t recommend using the crunchy version though. It will make it too difficult for the powdered sugar to stick.
- Vanilla extract: Pure or artificial is fine. You can also use homemade vanilla extract.
- Red and green M&M’s: Any kind of candy coated chocolate will work. I like the red and green colors to fit with the Christmas theme.
- Edible glitter spray (optional): You van find this in the baking aisle at Walmart, Michael’s or Hobby Lobby. It comes in a small bottle with a spray top so you spritz any treat with glitter for a sparkly effect. It’s totally optional, but will add a dash of Christmas magic.
How to Make Reindeer Chow
Step One: Place the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
Step Two: In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
Step Three: Add ¾ cup of the chocolate chips and all the peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir well after each interval and continue to heat until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Step Four: Pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir well to coat.
Step Five: Sprinkle the powdered sugar and cocoa powder mixture over the chocolate coated cereal and gently stir until the cereal is completely coated. Freeze for 15 minutes.
Step Six: Remove the cereal mixture from the freezer and stir in the M&M’s and remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips.
Step Seven: Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet or large piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Spray with edible glitter until you reach your desired effect.
Equipment Needed to Make Christmas Muddy Buddies
What to Serve with Christmas Puppy Chow
- Eggnog Donuts
- Sweet Spiced Pecans
- Cranberry Coconut Pistachio Chocolate Bars
- Peanut Butter Truffles
- Christmas Popcorn
- Reese’s Pieces
- Crushed candy canes
- Mint chocolate chips
- Mini peanut butter cups
- White chocolate chips
- Hershey’s Kisses
Store the Reindeer Chow in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You can also store it in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. My favorite way to enjoy this sweet treat is straight from the freezer!
Can I feed this to a reindeer?
No, DO NOT feed it to any animals. This treat is intended for humans only.
How to pack as an edible gift
- Put it in festive tin or christmas box
- Package in a Christmas cellophane bag with ribbon
- Share it in a Christmas food storage container as a practical gift with something yummy
Christmas Party Treats
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups red and green M&M's
- Edible glitter spray (optional)
- Place the cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add ¾ cup of the chocolate chips and all the peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. Stir well after each interval and continue to heat until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir well to coat.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar and cocoa powder mixture over the chocolate coated cereal and gently stir until the cereal is completely coated. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cereal mixture from the freezer and stir in the M&M's and remaining ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture on a large baking sheet or large piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Spray with edible glitter until you reach your desired effect.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Meal Planning Binder
The Sugar Art - Sterling Pearl - Edible Shimmer Powder For Decorating Cakes, Cupcakes, Cake Pops, & More - Dust on Shine & Luster to Sweets - Kosher, Food-Grade Coloring - Super Gold - 2.5 grams
Kirkland Signature Non Stick Parchment Paper, 205 sqft
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 49gProtein: 8g