Change up your barbecue chicken game this season with this Grilled Herb Chicken! This homemade marinade combines balsamic vinegar, garlic, green onions, tomatoes, thyme, tarragon, basil, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
It’s barbecue season and I’m losing precious days without my barbecue! Our old one went to barbecue heaven before we moved to Ontario last month. Thankfully, my parents bought a new barbecue and have kindly offered us their old one. It still works and all we need to buy is a propane tank. Easy enough!
In the meantime, I’ve been using my indoor grill. It’s not quite the same as using an outdoor barbecue, but it will do in a pinch till our “new” grill arrives. I whipped up a batch of one of my signature grilled chicken recipes: Grilled Herb Chicken. I started making this when I was a teenager. The marinade is fresh herbs, tomatoes, green onion, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.
The chicken breasts are soaked in it for at least an hour and then grilled to perfection. The marinade then becomes a sauce thanks to my handy blender puree setting and voilà, dinner is served.
The herbs I use are just a suggestion. If you can’t find them fresh, try another kind or use the ones you have in your herb garden. It’s a simple, fresh and delicious way to enjoy chicken breasts. Serve with a barbecued potato and salad for an amazing summer meal.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Herb Chicken
- The herb marinade is so flavorful.
- Are you barbecuing for a crowd? Double (or triple) the recipe. Easy-peasy.
- Simple grilled chicken done in 30 minutes- 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes on the grill rack
- Versatile chicken recipe- easy to swap out seasonings, herbs, or spices and pairs with many side dishes and goes nicely on top of a salad
- Beautiful visually appealing grill marks on both sides of the chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Balsamic vinegar
- Green onions
- Garlic cloves
- Cayenne pepper
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh tarragon
- Fresh basil
- Olive oil
How to Make Grilled Herb Chicken
- Step One: Place boneless chicken breasts in a single layer in a large dish. Set aside.
- Step Two: In a large bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, green onions, garlic, tomato, cayenne pepper, thyme, tarragon, salt and basil to create a simple marinade. Whisk in olive oil.
- Step Three: Remove ½ cup of the marinade and pour over chicken breasts. Marinate for one hour on the counter or overnight in the fridge. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Step Four: Pre-heat grill. Grill chicken breasts on the barbecue on medium high heat or on an indoor grill, about 5 minutes or so per side (or until cooked).
- Step Five: Meanwhile, place the reserved marinade in a small pot on the stove and add sugar. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer marinade to a food processor or blender and puree. Serve sauce drizzled over the grilled chicken breast.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Grilled Herb Chicken
- Green Beans with Warm Pistachio Vinaigrette
- Garlic Bread
- Easy Air Fryer Asparagus
- Company Peas
- Crispy Air Fryer Cauliflower
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Food safety tip: Always check the internal temperature of your chicken before consuming it. Be sure that it reaches 165F using a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken breast.
- You can place chicken breasts in a large zip lock bag with this easy marinade to coat it and make clean up easier.
Variations and Substitutions
- Add a dash of lemon juice and some lemon zest for a zesty flavor, creating a delicious lemon herb chicken.
- You can swap the chicken breasts out for skinless chicken thighs or boneless skinless thighs and marinade them before grilling. You may need to alter your cooking time if you choose to do this.
Store leftover juicy chicken in an airtight container or plastic bag in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can make a big batch of this herb chicken recipe and use it for multiple meals, making it the perfect meal prep recipe.
Can I Freeze This Chicken Recipe?
Of course, you can. Once your Grilled Herb Chicken has cooled, place it in an airtight freezer safe container or freezer safe resealable bag with the excess air squeezed out for up to 3 months.
More Chicken Recipes
- Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
- Maple Dijon Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Butter Chicken Pasta Salad
- Honey Sriracha Chicken
- Ginger Lime Chicken
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.
The Chicken Farmers of Canada have a large selection of chicken recipes including more recipes for chicken on the grill. I found several recipes on their site that I want to try including:
- Grilled Chicken with Fig, Grape and Walnut Salsa
- Tandoori Chicken Wings on the Grill
- Butterflied Herb and Lemon Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Tuscan Chicken Breast
- Tequila Chicken with Pineapple
Besides chicken recipes, Chicken Farmers of Canada has a wealth of information. Learn more about chicken farms, nutrition, tips and techniques, how-to’s and more on their site.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch sugar
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in a large dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together balsamic vinegar, green onions, garlic, tomato, cayenne pepper, thyme, tarragon, salt and basil. Whisk in olive oil.
- Remove ½ cup of the marinade and pour over chicken breasts. Marinate for one hour on counter or overnight in the fridge. Reserve remaining marinade.
- Grill chicken breasts on the barbecue on medium high or on an indoor grill, about 5 minutes or so per side (or until cooked).
- Meanwhile, place the reserved marinade in a small pot on the stove and add sugar. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer marinade to a food processor or blender and puree. Serve sauce drizzled over chicken breasts.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 38g