Skip the drive thru and make these delicious Big Mac Sloppy Joes that taste just like the McDonald’s burger. This one-pan meal is made with ground beef, onions, pickles, lettuce and Thousand Island Dressing for a mouthwatering and easy weeknight meal.
This Big Mac Sloppy Joes recipe is a delicious one pan meal that the whole family can enjoy! Bring the taste of everyone’s favorite burger to your kitchen without ever leaving the house. I love a good easy meal and this easy ground beef dinner recipe fits the bill to a T.
My Big Mac Sloppy Joe has everything you love about the classic sandwich, but in sloppy joe style. It’s packed with ground beef and diced onions that are cooked to perfect and then loaded on a sesame seed bun with a slice of American cheese.
And the sauce. Oh the mouthwatering copycat big mac sauce. We can’t forget the most important part. Slather that creamy sauce all over!
This quick easy weeknight dinner recipe is a staple on my meal planning rotation!
Why You’ll Love Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- Tastes just like a Big Mac with a scrumptious copycat special sauce
- Easy to make in 30 minutes
- Family favorite recipe that kids love
- Makes large sandwiches if you use big buns
- An affordable dinner idea with readily available ingredients
- Perfect meal for busy weeknights
- Great to satisfy cravings when you can’t go out for fast food
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Thousand Island Dressing
- Black pepper
- Beef broth
- American cheese slices
- Sesame seed buns
The full printable recipe card can be found at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- Step One: In a large skillet, combine ground beef and onions. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned. Drain any grease.
- Step Two: Add Thousand Island Dressing, salt and pepper to the ground beef mixture. Stir to combine.
- Step Three: In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and beef broth.
- Step Four: Add the broth mixture to the pan over medium-high heat and stir until thickened.
- Step Five: To serve, place a cheese slice on the bottom bun and then a bit of the meat mixture.
- Step Six: Next add the bottom bun of another set of buns and then add more meat mixture to the top of that bun.
- Step Seven: Add another slice of cheese.
- Step Eight: Top with shredded lettuce, pickles and more Thousand Island Dressing.
- Step Nine: Top with top of the bun.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- Cheeseburger Salad
- BLT Salad
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Air Fryer Potato Chips
- French fries – These air fryer fries look delicious!
- Dill pickle slices
Variations and Substitutions
- Try ground turkey or ground chicken instead of the lean ground beef.
- Add diced pickles to the meat mixture for a different flavor.
- Leave out the middle bun if you want less bread. They’ll still be delicious.
- Use slider buns, brioche buns or submarine buns instead of the traditional sesame seed buns.
- Add freshly diced onions on top.
- Save time by using frozen chopped peppers and onions.
- Use any cheese that you like. Some options include shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella or even Cheez-Whiz.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container. Reheat in the microwave or in a frying pan when you are ready to serve again.
Can I Freeze?
You can brown the meat, onions and dressing ahead of time and then freeze for up to 3 months. I wouldn’t freeze the buns with the meat on them though.
- Toast the buns in the oven if you like. Then serve them still slightly warm with the meat mixture.
- Add a little Worcestershire sauce to the meat mixture to elevate the flavor.
- If you don’t want to use thousand islands dressing, try making your own copycat Big Mac Sauce.
Sloppy Joe Inspired Recipes
- Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Garlic Bread Bowl Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Sloppy Joe Stuffed Shells
- Slow Cooker Rodeo Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Korean Sloppy Joes
- Sloppy Cooker Mississippi Sloppy Joes
- Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
You’ll also like this Copycat Popeye’s Chicken Sandwich.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Big Mac Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- ⅓ cup Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup beef broth
- 8 cheese slices
- 8 sesame seed buns
- Shredded Lettuce, extra dressing and sliced pickles for topping
- In a large skillet, combine ground beef and onions. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned. Drain any grease.
- Add Thousand Island Dressing, salt and pepper to the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and beef broth.
- Add the broth mixture to the pan over medium-high heat and stir until thickened.
- To serve, place a cheese slice on the bottom bun and then a bit of the meat mixture.
- Next add the bottom bun of another set of buns and then add more meat mixture to the top of that bun.
- Add another slice of cheese.
- Top with shredded lettuce, pickles and more Thousand Island Dressing.
- Top with top of the bun.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.