Keto Zuppa Toscana is a Keto friendly version of the famous Tuscan soup! It’s filled with kale, bacon, sausage, roasted cauliflower immersed in a creamy broth. Even people not following the Keto diet LOVED this recipe. It’s delicious, guilt-free comfort food.
Keto Zuppa Toscana
According to Wikipedia, traditional Zuppa Toscana is made with “kale, zucchini, cannellini beans, potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, tomato pulp, extra virgin olive oil, salt, powdered chili, toasted Tuscan bread, and rigatino”.
The Keto version incorporates most of the same ingredients except for the ones not allowed on the diet.
Personally, I’ve tried both versions and I like the Keto version better! I’m starting to get back into the Keto diet again and this easy and delicious soup has made a few appearances at dinner time in my home.
Instead of potatoes, Keto Zuppa Toscana uses roasted cauliflower. Have you tried roasted cauliflower? OMG, it’s amazing! I’m not a big cauliflower fan, but I absolutely adore it when it’s oven-roasted. Yum!
This post contains affiliate links.
I got this recipe from one of my Keto subscription boxes. Every month, they send Keto foods and snacks plus two new recipes to try.
Keto Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
Curious to see what’s in Keto Zuppa Toscana? All this deliciousness!
- Roasted cauliflower florets
- Garlic powder
- Mild Italian sausages
- Thick-cut bacon
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
You won’t even miss the beans, I promise!
How to Make Keto Zuppa Toscana
The first step is to roast the cauliflower. Place the cauliflower florets on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes at 375F. Set baking sheet aside when it’s done.
While the cauliflower is roasting, cook the sausage in a skillet over medium high heat. Remove the sausage from its casing first! Stir frequently, until browned. Drain the fat and set aside. If you don’t remove the extra fat, the soup will be too greasy.
Grab a big pot and cook the bacon over medium high heat. Remove the bacon from the pot, but save the bacon grease in the pot. You’ll need it for the next step of the recipe.
Add onions to the bacon pot and saute over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, to desired taste.
Add chicken broth and cooked Italian sausage. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
Add the roasted cauliflower, cooked bacon and heavy cream to the pot. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in kale. Cover and let soup sit for 20 minutes so the kale wilts. Serve and enjoy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These handy tools will help you prepare this recipe.
I have a few more Keto recipes on my site that you’ll love!
- Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake – So rich and creamy! Enjoy this easy Keto dessert guilt-free. Each bite is pure pumpkin heaven.
- Keto Cauliflower Ziti – Enjoy all the flavours of hearty Italian meal without the carbs! This Keto casserole is meaty and cheesy.
- Low Carb Chicken Divan – You won’t even miss the carbs! This comforting casserole has a creamy sauce made with chicken, broccoli, cheddar cheese and cauliflower rice.
- Keto Brussels Sprouts Casserole – Cheesy comfort food you can enjoy guilt-free! This delicious Keto casserole is made with tender Brussels Sprouts, bacon and loads of cheese.
I also wanted to give a big shout out to the Wholesome Yum Keto Meal Planning Subscription. I’ve been a subscriber for a few months and love all the recipes so far. They’ve offered me a discount to give to my readers: use the code SIMPLYSTACIE for 15% off meal plans and ebooks.
Have you tried Keto Zuppa Toscana before?
Keto Zuppa Toscana
- 1 head cauliflower chopped into florets
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 mild Italian sausages casings removed
- 1 package thick-cut bacon chopped
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups kale roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cauliflower on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Roast in oven for 35 minutes. Set aside.
- Add sausage to a skillet over medium high heat and cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Drain fat and set aside.
- In a large pot, cook bacon over medium high heat. Remove bacon from pot, but save bacon drippings in the pot.
- Add onions to bacon pot and saute over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder, to desired taste.
- Add chicken broth and cooked sausage. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower, cooked bacon and heavy cream. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in kale. Cover and let soup sit for 20 minutes for the kale to wilt. Serve and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.