This kid friendly meal is a delicious twist on a favorite weeknight dinner. Made with sloppy joe beef topped with crispy tater tots and melted cheddar cheese, Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is a quick and easy family recipe everyone enjoys.
Dinner is served in less than 1 hour? Yes, please! If you are all about simple and hearty meals, this Beef Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is for you.
I’m a HUGE fan of tater tot casseroles. I love how fast they are to put together and everyone always cleans their plate and asks for seconds helpings. It’s a winner dinner, in my opinion.
Check out my other tater tot casserole recipes:
- Tater Tot Casserole (classic recipe)
- Lasagna Tater Tot Casserole
- Pizza Tater Tot Casserole
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
And what’s not to love about the classic sloppy joes? This American classic recipe is given a casserole makeover and turned into an amazing comfort food dinner. It has all the great flavors of sloppy joes with a tater tot twist. Yum!
What You’ll Love About Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- Ready to serve in 55 minutes
- Save time using canned sloppy joe sauce (I love the Manwich brand)
- Kid-friendly meal
- Super filling that you don’t even need a side (unless you want to make one!)
- Hearty, comfort food with beefy cheesy flavor
- Easy to find ingredients
- Lean ground beef
- Sweet onion – You can also use white onion.
- Green pepper – Check out this hack on the easiest way to cut a bell pepper.
- Garlic salt – Substitute a mixture of garlic powder and salt if you don’t have garlic salt. Use 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt mixed together.
- Cream cheese – I use regular cream cheese and not the light version.
- Sloppy joe sauce – I like the Manwich sloppy joe sauce.
- Frozen tater tots – No need to thaw!
- Cheddar cheese – I prefer to shred my own cheese. I find the pre-shredded cheese melts funny.
- Fresh chives (optional)
How to Make the Best Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
Step One: Preheat oven to 400F.
Step Two: Add ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic salt to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until beef is cooked.
Step Three: Stir in cream cheese and sloppy joe sauce. Continue to cook, stirring often, until cream cheese is melted.
Step Four: Spread beef mixture at the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Top with tater tots.
Step Five: Bake for 40 minutes.
Step Six: Remove casserole from oven and top with cheddar cheese. Bake another 5 minutes.
Step Seven: Top with chives, if desired.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Manwich Tater Tot Casserole
Or simply enjoy on it’s own! It doesn’t need a side unless you want something light to go along with it.
Variations and Substitutions
- Substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for the ground beef.
- Use your own homemade sloppy joe sauce if you prefer.
- Add in more veggies like red pepper and corn.
- Add in more spices like paprika, cumin or cayenne.
Best Way to Store Leftover Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
If you have any leftovers, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy again.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, you can freeze sloppy joe tater tot casserole. Add portions to freezer-safe containers and store in the freezer for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge when you are ready to eat.
- Let the tater tot casserole cool slightly when you remove it from the oven. This extra time will allow the sauce to thicken up and you won’t burn your mouth.
- Put the cheese on top in the last 5 minutes of cooking. This will allow the tater tots to get crispy while they bake and the cheese only needs a small amount of time to melt.
- Make sure to use a 9×13 baking pan. If you use a smaller pan, you will need to adjust the ingredient amounts or risk it overflowing in your oven.
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Doritos Casserole
- Pierogi Casserole
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 1 can sloppy joe sauce (15oz/398ml)
- 1 bag frozen Tater Tots (2lb/800g)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- fresh chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add ground beef, onion, green pepper and garlic salt to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until beef is cooked.
- Stir in cream cheese and sloppy joe sauce. Continue to cook, stirring often, until cream cheese is melted.
- Spread beef mixture at the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Top with tater tots.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven and top with cheddar cheese. Bake another 5 minutes.
- Top with chives, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.