Apple Pie Pancakes
Apple Pie Pancakes are a homemade pancake recipe that has bits of apple and cinnamon in every bite. Top with tender apples and creme fraiche. So not only are these pancakes topped with sharp apples that have been poached in a sinful syrup/sugar/butter concoction, but they also have grated apple inside them!
Hi Everyone, Nicky here calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary. Today I’m bringing you Apple Pie Pancakes: a spiced apple pancake recipe, topped with syrup poached apples and a spoonfuls of creamy, thick crème fraiche. This is one glorious breakfast!
Apple Pie Pancakes
My family absolutely love pancakes, and although we often default to regular pancakes with berries and melted chocolate, I do enjoy experimenting with different flavours too.
I’ve been slightly obsessed with apples recently (and have also been figuring out what to do with two large bags of apples given to me by friends) and my next pancake experiment seemed like the perfect opportunity to make the most of those apples.
What is Muscovado
Muscovado is similar to light brown sugar. Both have a wet sand-like texture and offers a mild caramel taste. Depending on where you live you might find you have Muscovado or you can opt for a light brown sugar. Both work in this recipe.
Is Making Homemade Pancakes Hard
No, you will be shocked at how easy it is to make these pancakes. You will find the shredded apple in the pancakes makes them extra moist in flavor and adds texture.
I never make boxed pancakes at this point, I am all about homemade pancakes. The flavor is phenomenal.
What to Serve with Apple Pancakes
- Syrup, Maple or Apple
- Whipped cream
- A dollop of yogurt
- Caramel sauce
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar
- Top with apples
As you can see there are tons of ways to dress up your apple pancakes. I tend to do the apples, and a drizzle of syrup. Simple but the perfect topper for these pancakes.
How to Make Apple Pie Pancakes
You will start by making your apples and the sauce. Start by working on placing sliced apples, water, brown sugar, and golden syrup in a saucepan. Cook without stirring on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil. Then turn the heat down and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
While the apples are cooking, you can place flour, baking powder, cinnamon, shredded apples, ginger, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and milk in a large bowl. Whisk them up and remove all but a few lumps.
Pour oil in a large skillet and wipe it around, so that you coat the pan. Then once the pan is hot pour the batter in and make pancakes. Flip and cook until the pancake is fully cooked.
Place some apples on pancakes and drizzle with sauce and a dollop of creme fraiche if you have any.
Looking for more breakfast recipes
- Cinnamon Banana Pancakes | Check out these banana pancakes. They are light, fluffy and loaded with rich and decadent flavors in every single bite.
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes | Here is a whole wheat based pancake. You will find it offers great nutrients and fiber and the blueberries add the perfect amount of sweetness in each bite.
- Scrambled Egg Casserole | A breakfast casserole that is tasty and easy to whip up. Pair this next to your apple pancakes or make a savory breakfast for the family or a crowd.
- Spicy Egg Muffins | Amp up the heat with these spicy egg muffins. You make them in a muffin tin for perfectly cooked seasoned eggs.
How to Store Leftover Pancakes
If you don’t eat all your pancakes right away, place the pancakes in a sealable bag or airtight container. Store the apples and sauce in another container. If you store them together it will make your pancakes mush.
Reheat in the microwave or warm up on the skillet. If you do the microwave add a cup with a little water. This will help keep the pancakes moist as they reheat.
Can You Freeze Apple Pancakes
Yes, you can freeze these pancakes without the apples and sauce. Just allow pancakes to cool and then flash freeze them on a baking sheet. Transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag. Then store up to three months in the freezer.
When you are ready to reheat, you can make apples to the top or eat them plain. Either way, these pancakes are outstanding.
Apples & Sauce
- 1+1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup brown muscovado sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 large sharp-tasting apples (such as Granny Smiths) peeled, chopped into slices and mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to prevent the apple from browning)
- 1 + ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 sharp tasting apple, grated/shredded (no need to remove the skin)
- 3 tbsp light brown (muscovado) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 + ¼ cups milk (half fat or full fat)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 heaped tbsp. Crème fraiche
- Start by making the apples and sauce. Place the water, golden syrup, brown sugar, butter and sliced apple into a large saucepan. Heat, without stirring, on a medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the liquid comes to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off.
- Whilst the apples are cooking, place the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, shredded apple, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, salt and milk in a large bowl. Use a whisk to mix until combined. Don’t over-mix – a few lumps are fine.
- Pour ¼ tbsp. oil in a large skillet, then wipe around with a kitchen towel to cover the pan. Heat the pan on a medium heat until hot. Pour in enough mixture to make three pancakes (approx. ¼ cup of mix per pancake). Cook for about 1-2 minutes until bubbles form on top of the pancakes and then burst, and the edges start to look firm. Cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the mixture – oiling the pan each time – until all the pancakes are cooked (you can keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven whilst you’re making each batch).
- Place 3 pancakes on each plate (the recipe makes approx. 12 pancakes). Top each stack with wedges of the cooked apple, then spoon on a heaped tbsp. of crème fraiche. Pour over the apple-syrup sauce before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 150Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 172mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g