Sticky Banana Croissants with Crushed Nuts
Hi Everyone, Nicky here, calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary with the most indulgent weekend breakfast treat.
That may sound time-consuming, but these stuffed croissants take only 5 minutes hands-on time, then 10 minutes in the oven.
I’ve got to admit, I was a little tempted to go all in and throw some Nutella in there (I love Nutella and bananas!) but it really doesn’t need it.
The brown-sugar almond paste, paired with the perfectly ripe bananas and the crunchy, sticky nuts will satisfy that sweet tooth without the need to open a jar of the magic chocolate spread!
With Mother’s day coming up, I’d be tempted to start dropping some heavy hints now…..
What is your favourite breakfast?
- 3 large croissants
Brown Sugar Frangipane
- 1/2 cup ground almonds/almond meal (the grainy type, not the flour)
- 3 tbsp soft (but not melted) butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 small egg
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup mixed crushed or chopped nuts (I used a mixture of almonds, brazil nuts, cashews and walnuts)
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the 3 croissants on a baking tray and slice them horizontally nearly all the way through. Put to one side.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground almonds, butter, sugar, salt, egg and almond extract until combined. Spread all but 2 tablespoons of this mixture inside the three croissants, then spread the remaining mixture on top of the croissants.
- Mix the honey and nuts together, and spoon on top of the croissants. Push down a little so they stick to the top.
- Place in the oven to cook for 10 minutes (note: this lightly cooks the frangipane, but you’ll need to cook for longer – until the center is piping hot – if you can’t have raw eggs).
- Take out of the oven and carefully stuff the centre of the croissants with the banana slices before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1155Total Fat: 70gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 51gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 115gFiber: 14gSugar: 64gProtein: 30g