One-Pot Chicken Fajita Rice
One-Pot Chicken Fajita Rice is insanely satisfying and full of your favorite fajita flavors. This one-pan Mexican dinner will satisfy and fill your bellies.
Chicken Fajita Rice
If you are wanting a new recipe to try that has ground chicken, peppers, onions, tomatoes and more all in one dish, this rice dish is a great one to add to your menu.
What Rice to Use
I used the Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice, you could also use a minute rice if you would like.
Now if you opt to use a regular white rice or even brown rice you will need to convert the liquid and add time to the cooking process. Minute or converted rice cooks a lot faster, so take that into consideration.
Homemade Fajita Seasoning
We made our own homemade fajita seasoning to control the amount of sodium. It’s super easy to make your own at home with spices from your pantry. My daughter, Bridget, is 10 years old and was responsible for measuring the spices.
Or if you want you can buy a packet a fajita seasoning. I find that homemade mix has so much more flavor than the store bought packets.
Topping Ideas for Fajita Rice
- Sour Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Avocado or Guacamole
You can top your rice with any and all your favorite toppings. Or choose to eat it plain, whatever you feel fits your needs.
Can I Use Ground Beef Instead
Sure, if you are not a fan of ground chicken or don’t have any on hand, go for it. You could also use ground turkey as well. Each meat will vary in the flavor but overall it is going to give you similar flavor.
Or toss in pre-cooked grilled chicken, or grill chicken in the pan and then add in rice and veggies for a tasty option if you would like.
Why Make Chicken Fajita Rice
- Easy | A one-pot dinner that is SO easy to make. Loads of flavor and something the whole family can enjoy.
- Family Friendly | This is a recipe my whole family can get excited over. Savory flavors, hearty, and filling.
- Minimal Mess | What I love is making a dish like this fajita rice you will find that it requires minimal mess making in your kitchen. All the things I love.
How to Make Low Carb
Skip the rice and reach for cauliflower rice or leave the rice out altogether and eat meat and veggies. You will still have tons of flavor.
If you do cauliflower rice you won’t want to add that in till the very end, as it doesn’t require much cook time like regular rice.
Just follow the directions on the package for making cauliflower rice, or just warm it up and serve.
You could also skip mixing it in with the meat and veggies and serve it as a bed of cauliflower rice.
Does Rice Reheat Well
You will find that rice reheats decent from the cold fridge. Toss in the microwave or warm up in a skillet on the stove.
Now, if you want to freeze some of this mixture, it is best to place in container while the dish is still warm.
This will create a bit of condensation in the container so when you go to warm it up, it helps hydrate the rice a bit so it doesn’t dry out.
Searching for More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Garden Vegetable Beef Skillet | Another easy and hearty skillet dish that is loaded with veggies and ground beef in every bite.
- Tortellini Casserole | If you love pasta, try my tortellini casserole. Tons of pasta, sauce all in one dish that bakes up perfectly.
- Tater Tot Casserole | Here is a tried and true recipe I have made for so many years. Tater tot casserole is so easy to prepare, and let the oven handle the rest.
- One Pan Spaghetti | Here is one more easy dish. Get your favorite spaghetti flavor all in one pan! Talk about an easy cleanup.
Meal Prepping Recipe
This recipe right here is also great to make up for a few days and just reheat for lunch or quick dinners through the week. This chicken rice will store for up to three days in the fridge when stored properly.
Anything after that I will recommend that you use your best judgement in terms of quality of food.
Our One-Pot Chicken Fajita Rice turned out perfectly! It’s a meal in a pan and we couldn’t wait to dig in.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 cups Uncle Ben’s Converted Rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 orange pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocadoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- juice of one lime
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in ground chicken and cook for about 2 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add in onion (not the green onion), green pepper, yellow pepper and orange pepper and cook until chicken is browned and onions and peppers are softened.
- Stir in the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and cumin. Stir in salsa, chicken broth and rice and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 18 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Once cooked, stir and the cover in cheese, avocado and tomatoes. The cover again for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted. Top with green onions and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 554Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1095mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g