Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is the best Mexican-inspired meal for a busy weeknight! Let these chicken breasts simmer in delicious sauce all day for a tender, delicious dish with minimal prep work.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. Opinions on this blog are my own.
I’m excited to announce that I was selected to be a Brand Ambassador for the Chicken Farmers of Canada this year! I can’t wait to get cookin’ all kinds of chicken recipes and share them with you.
With the new year now upon us, I know many of us (myself included) are focusing on healthy living and eating better. Since 2012, I’ve been watching what I eat and making an honest effort at including more “real food” in my diet. Chicken is one of the main types of protein that I eat because it is so good for you. My favourite is chicken breasts because they are low in fat and a high source of protein.
I’ve got a million chicken recipes in my rotation, but I love every one! Chicken breasts are one of my favorite proteins, and this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken takes a simple meat and turns it into a flavorful, delicious dish!
With the new year upon us, I know many of us (myself included!) are focusing on healthy living and eating better. Since 2012, I’ve been watching what I eat and making an honest effort at including more “real food” in my diet. Chicken is one of the main types of protein that I eat because it is so good for you.
I make this easy Salsa Chicken in my slow cooker. My Crockpot gets lots of use in the cold months and has a permanent home on my countertop. There’s no chopping, dicing, or anything fancy.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts — no need to precook them!
- Canned black beans
- Salsa — mild, medium, or hot
- Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- Chili powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Onion powder
What I used for my Salsa Chicken
This post contains affiliate links.
- Crockpot: This is my most used kitchen tool by a wide margin. There’s nothing you can’t make in a Crockpot from simple breakfast casseroles to decadent desserts.
- Measuring cups: I tend to eyeball this recipe most of the time, but these measuring cups and spoons come in handy when I leave directions for my kids!
- Can opener: I use lots of canned foods in my recipes to make them easier and more accessible. This can opener has been in my kitchen for years and has never let me down!
How to Make Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- First, put the raw chicken at the bottom of the Crockpot.
- Then, mix together the black beans, salsa, Rotel tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, onion powder, and oregano. Pour the mixture over your chicken breasts and cook covered for at least 8 hours on low.
- Once it’s simmered all day, shred the chicken with 2 forks and stir back into the Crockpot. That’s it!
I like to serve this over a bed of rice, garnished with fresh cilantro. You could also use this filling for the easiest tacos, burritos, or enchiladas, too!
Can You Put Raw Chicken in a Crockpot?
The slow cooker is a life saver for busy days! I plan at least one Crockpot meal per week to give myself a break while still enjoying home-cooked meals.
For this recipe, the chicken goes in the slow cooker uncooked and simmers all day in the sauce. By the time you sit down to eat, it is so tender and juicy with loads of spicy flavor!
You can even put frozen chicken in the Crockpot! When working with poultry, you always want to make sure you meat is at least 165 degrees F internally to avoid potential salmonella poisoning.
Is It Better to Cook Chicken on High or Low in the Crockpot?
Many slow cooker recipes have different options for cook times. If you’re cooking for about 8 hours on low, you can usually shorten the recipe to about 4 hours on high.
However, in my experience, a Crockpot on high can lead to tougher, dryer chicken than one on low. If you have the time, I definitely recommend using the low setting all day.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
There are a million ways to serve this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken! I serve it on a bed of white rice to keep it simple.
If you’re trying to save on carbs, try the salsa chicken in these cauliflower rice enchilada bowls! I top mine with corn salsa and a couple avocado slices.
Mexican stuffed peppers are a favorite in our kitchen! They’re filling enough for a main dish and great leftovers for meal prep!
Turn these vegetarian open-faced tacos into a meat eater’s delight with this Mexican-inspired chicken! It’s an easy way to clean out the produce drawer, too.
Other amazing chicken recipes to try…
- Chicken Alfredo Pierogi Casserole
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken
- Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- Sticky Chicken
- Lasagna-Stuffed Chicken
- Slow Cooker Asian Chicken
Do you have any amazing Crockpot recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup Rotel Chopped Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Place the four chicken breasts at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, stir together black beans, salsa, Rotel Chopped Tomatoes and Green Chilies, garlic, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, onion powder and oregano. Pour over chicken in slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours until chicken is fully cooked.
- Shred chicken with two forks. Stir to combine with the salsa.
- Serve alone or on a bed of rice. Top with freshly chopped cilantro, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 728mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 46g