One big regret I have is not getting the recipe for my Grandma June’s Hamburger Soup. She passed away at the end of 2012. I miss her dearly. I was lucky enough to get some of her handwritten recipes. I’ve already shared her Hurry Chicken. I decided to take a crack at her Hamburger Soup and see if I could get it close. Grandma June always referred to it as “Hamburg soup”.
Beef was always plentiful around grandma’s house. Her life partner, Clarence, is a beef farmer and she always had a freezer full of his beef.
I hope my grandma approves of this version of her soup. I love it because it’s hearty, filling and flavourful. It’s pure comfort food that is perfect to enjoy on a cold winter’s day when you’re tucked inside the house.
My version of my grandma’s favourite soup. It’s hearty, filling and flavourful. Enjoy a piping hot bowl on a cold winter’s day.
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3 10 oz cans consomme
- 10 oz can tomato soup
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups small pasta shells, uncooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, cook ground beef and onions on medium high heat.
- Once beef is browned, add in the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 40 minutes. Serve hot.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family has. Every time I make it, I think fondly of all the precious memories I have of my grandma.
Has your grandmother shared any of her recipes with you?