This Spicy Sausage & Pepper One-Pot Pasta is the best hearty, comforting meal. It’s made with your choice of pasta tossed in a flavorful tomato sauce with spicy sautéed peppers, hot Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese.
Why You’ll Love Spicy Sausage and Pepper Pasta
- Simple ingredients. This recipe is made with basic ingredients, most of which you might already have on hand.
- Quick to make. There’s a little bit of prep work to be done with chopping veggies, but once that’s taken care of the pasta comes together so quickly.
- Comforting and nourishing. This delicious pasta tastes like a comfort food, but it’s packed with veggies and protein. It’s delicious, good-for-you, and perfect for those cold winter months when you’re looking for something to warm you up!
- Onion and Garlic – sautéed onion and pepper create a flavor base for the sauce.
- Peppers – orange pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeño peppers, and yellow hot pepper
- Italian Sausage – use hot Italian sausages for that delicious spicy flavor.
- Tomato – fresh, chopped tomato adds texture.
- Fresh Basil – a sprinkle of fresh, chopped basil enhances those classic flavors in the pasta sauce.
- Pasta Sauce – use your favorite store-bought variety of pasta sauce or whip up a meatless batch of my homemade spaghetti sauce.
- Broth – chicken, mushroom, or beef broth will work.
- Pasta – use whatever pasta shape you prefer. No need to cook it first!
- Mozzarella Cheese – shredded mozzarella melts into the sauce to make it perfectly cheesy.
How to Make Spicy Sausage & Pepper One-Pot Pasta
This easy and delicious one-pot meal comes together in no time!
- Step One: In a large Dutch oven, sauté onion garlic, and sausage. Add in the peppers, then continue to sauté until the peppers are soft and the sausage is cooked.
- Step Two: Stir in the pasta sauce, basil, broth, and pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until the pasta is cooked.
- Step Three: Remove from heat, stir in cheese, and serve.
You really just need one pot for this recipe! No extra equipment needed!
This post contains affiliate links.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Wear gloves. This is key when slicing hot peppers. If you don’t have gloves, wash your hands very thoroughly with soap before touching your eyes or nose.
- Chop small. Slice the bell peppers thinly and chop the jalapeño and hot pepper up small so everything incorporates nicely together.
- Use uncooked pasta. The pasta cooks right in the sauce. No need to cook it first!
- To tone down the heat, use mild Italian sausage and one jalapeño pepper instead of two. You can also just leave the jalapeño out entirely.
Leftover sausage and pepper pasta will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat, warm on low on the stove until heated through. If the pasta is too thick, add a splash of broth or a little extra sauce.
Can I Freeze Sausage & Pepper Pasta?
You can, but the texture will be affected. If you do decide to freeze your pasta, let it cool completely, then store it in a freezer-safe container. It will last for 2-3 months.
To enjoy again, thaw overnight in the fridge, then reheat on the stove until warmed through.
What Goes with Sausage and Peppers?
This sausage and pepper pasta is a complete meal all on its own. However, it goes great with a number of side dishes if you want to pair it with a couple of complimentary side dishes. Here are a few suggestions:
More One-Pot Pasta Recipes You’ll Love
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Spicy Sausage & Pepper One-Pot Pasta
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 orange pepper thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
- 1 yellow hot pepper finely chopped
- 4 hot Italian sausages
- 1 tomato chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 jar your favourite pasta sauce 650ml jar
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth or mushroom or beef broth
- 2 cups pasta of your choice uncooked
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion, garlic and sausage over medium high heat. Once the sausage is almost cooked, add in the tomato, orange pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, jalapeno peppers and yellow hot peppers. Continue to saute for a few more minutes until peppers are softened and sausage is cooked.
- Stir in the pasta sauce, basil, broth and pasta and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover for about 15 minutes, or until pasta is at desired tenderness. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Want Even More Recipes?Join Moms Best Recipes to find more delicious family recipes.