Sardine Fried Rice is an easy family meal made in one-pan. This dinnertime winner is packed with delicious slightly smoked canned sardines, tender fried rice and veggies. It’s the perfect recipe to try when you want to experiment with new and fun flavours.
My dad is a big fan of canned sardines. I remember he loved his sardine sandwiches! I’m a big fan of experimenting in the kitchen and thought of my dad when I was creating this recipe for Sardine Fried Rice. I know he would love to try this recipe.
This post is sponsored by Club Des Millionnaires. All opinions expressed on this blog are my own.
Club Des Millionnaires is a Canadian brand of premium sardines and anchovies that was founded in 1908. Their focus is on providing premium quality products that taste delicious and are nutritious. Sardines are a natural source of omega-3s!
I used Club Des Millionnaires Wild Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil in this particular recipe. They are wild-caught, have a slightly smoked flavour and pair perfectly with the salty rice and soy sauce. I chopped them up into bite-sized pieces to use in the recipe. I may have snuck a bite or two out of the can, but we’ll keep that between us!
Why You’ll Love Sardine Fried Rice
- A fun way to introduce sardines to your family
- Easy meal made in one pan
- Incredibly flavourful and even leftovers taste yummy
- Ready to serve in under 30 minutes
- Delicious meal on its own
The full printable recipe card can be found at the bottom of the post.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White onion
- Cremini mushrooms
- Red pepper
- 1 can Club Des Millionnaires Wild Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil
- Frozen peas – You don’t need to thaw the peas.
- Cooked white rice
- Soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Chive – For garnish (optional)
How to Make Sardine Fried Rice
- Step One: Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Step Two: Add white onion, cremini mushrooms, red pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until the veggies are softened.
- Step Three: Add sardines and frozen peas to the skillet. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Step Four: Add cooked rice and soy sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step Five: Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
The kitchen tools will help you make the recipe.
- Garlic press – Use a garlic press to easily and quickly mince garlic. No more smelly garlic fingers!
- Large skillet – This recipe serves 6 people so you’ll want to make sure you use a big enough skillet to fit all the ingredients.
- Cutting board – Save your countertops and use a cutting board to chop all the veggies and sardines.
- Measuring cups and spoons
What to Serve with Sardine Fried Rice
Variations and Substitutions
- Switch out the type of rice you use. Try jasmine rice or brown rice instead of white rice.
- Switch out the veggies. You could add snow peas, green pepper or mixed frozen vegetables.
- Use white button mushrooms if you don’t have cremini mushrooms.
- Use canned peas instead of frozen peas. I prefer to use frozen peas because they retain their shape and colour better.
- Garnish with sliced green onions instead of fresh chives.
- Use a yellow onion or sweet onion instead of a white onion.
- Add an extra can of Club Des Millionnaires Wild Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil to ramp up the smoked flavour and make it extra delicious.
Store any leftover Sardine Fried Rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, definitely! Make sure to let the recipe cool completely first. Store in freezer bags in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Where to Buy Sardines?
You can find Club Des Millionnaires Wild Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil at the following locations in Canada:
- Real Canadian Superstore
- RCWC Wholesale Club
- No Frills
- Extra Foods
- Metro Ontario and Metro Quebec
- Food Basics
- Maxi & Cie
- Save On Foods
- Quality Foods
Connect with Club Des Millionnaires on Facebook.
You’ll also like this Oven Baked Chicken Fried Rice.
Sardine Fried Rice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can Club Des Millionnaires Wild Brisling Sardines in Olive Oil (106g) chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 4 cups white rice cooked
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add white onion, mushrooms, red pepper, celery and garlic. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until veggies are softened.
- Add sardines and frozen peas to the skillet. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cooked rice and soy sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.