When summer rolls around, there’s truly nothing better than mountains of ice cream. Although I’ll pop to the store if I’m in a pinch, I’ve yet to find anything that tastes as good as this No-Churn Chocolate Cake Ice Cream.
Hi everyone, it’s Nicky here from Kitchen Sanctuary with a recipe for the best ice cream ever invented.
Take that Ben & Jerry’s!
This no-churn recipe is made using store-bought fudge cake (or homemade cake if you have time to spare!), cocoa powder, and a decent dose of sprinkles for texture and crunch.
So, this recipe certainly isn’t lacking on the chocolate front!
The ice cream itself is a simple combination of condensed milk and heavy cream that’s whipped with chocolate powder for an uber-creamy and rich result.
Using condensed milk helps you avoid any dreaded freezer burn from forming, meaning you won’t need to keep rushing back to the freezer to stir your creation! And once it’s frozen, you just need to take it out of the freezer to soften slightly and you’ll be ready to scoop away.
Just a word of warning. This stuff is incredibly popular in my house, so don’t expect it to last! Whenever I’ve made this decadent ice cream in the past, it’s lasted a single day. Whether it was down to the fudge cake pieces or rich flavor, I can’t say for certain!
Why You’ll Love No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- It’s almost ridiculously easy to make.
- You only need a few main ingredients.
- It’s relatively hands-off as it just requires a mixer.
- It’s the perfect treat for summer.
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy/whipping cream
- Cocoa powder
- Chocolate fudge cake (mine was a 1 ½ pound double chocolate fudge cake)
- Chocolate curls
How To Make No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Step One: Pour the condensed milk, vanilla extract, cream, and cocoa powder into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Step Two: Whisk using the balloon attachment until you reach the soft peaks stage (will just hold its shape when you lift the whisk).
- Step Three: Whilst the ice cream is being whisked, chop the fudge cake into 1-inch cubes.
- Step Four: Once the ice cream mixture is thick, add in half of the chocolate cake chunks and fold in with a spatula.
- Step Five: Spoon half of the ice cream mixture into a loaf or pie tin (or another freezable container) that has been lined with baking parchment.
- Step Six: Sprinkle on half of the remaining chocolate cake chunks. Top with the rest of the ice cream and arrange the remaining chocolate cake chunks on top.
- Step Seven: Sprinkle on the chocolate curls and place in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours (cover with a lid if freezing for longer).
- Step Eight: Take the ice cream out of the freezer approx. 5 minutes before you want to eat it. This will allow it to soften slightly.
To make this recipe happen, you’ll need a few key pieces of equipment.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with No-Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Death by Chocolate Cupcakes
- Ice Cream Pie
- Jelly Donut Ice Cream Bowl
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- You’ll want to beat your ice cream until stiff peaks form. It should look a bit like heavy whipped cream. If you don’t beat it for long enough, it won’t freeze to the right consistency and will be a goopy mess.
- Put the condensed milk in the freezer for about 15 minutes before using it. This will produce better results than room temperature cream as it keeps the entire mix cold.
Variations and Substitutions
- You can easily switch up the flavor profile of this recipe by adding any kind of cake you want. Lemon drizzle and red velvet are amazing choices, but you can keep things simple with a vanilla sponge or carrot cake if you wish!
- If you want a slightly richer chocolate flavor, add slightly more cocoa. Just don’t overdo it or you’ll upset the balance of the ice cream.
- You can use vanilla bean extract for a stronger flavor if you fancy it.
You’ll want to store this ice cream in the freezer in a container until you’re ready to scoop it. Just make sure the container is hardy enough to tolerate being in the freezer!
Can I Freeze?
Of course – you’ll need to freeze this recipe for it to work! It will last for a couple of weeks if stored and covered properly. If you keep it longer, you might have ice crystals starting to form.
Ice Cream Recipes
- Pineapple Ice Cream – this fresh and tasty summer treat is a wonderful way to cool down on a warm day.
- Blueberry Pie Ice Cream – if you love fruity desserts, then you’ll adore this decadent recipe that requires no eggs or ice cream machine!
- Caramel Crunch Ice Cream Sundae – this vanilla ice cream, caramel popcorn, and waffle bowl combo is the perfect sweet and salty treat.
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream – it doesn’t get much more indulgent than this rich and creamy dessert.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups heavy/whipping cream
- 2 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 chocolate fudge cake (mine was a 1 ½ pound double chocolate fudge cake), cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons chocolate curls
- Pour the condensed milk, vanilla extract, cream and cocoa powder into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk using the balloon attachment until you reach the soft peaks stage (will just hold its shape when you lift the whisk).
- Whilst the ice cream is being whisked, chop the fudge cake into 1 inch cubes.
- Once the ice cream mixture is thick, add in half of the chocolate cake chunks and fold in with a spatula.
- Spoon half of the ice cream mixture into a loaf or pie tin (or other freezable container) that has been lined with baking parchment. Sprinkle on half of the remaining chocolate cake chunks. Top with the rest of the ice cream and arrange the remaining chocolate cake chunks on top. Sprinkle on the chocolate curls and place in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours (cover with a lid if freezing for longer).
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer approx. 5 minutes before you want to eat it – to allow it to soften slightly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 618Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 135mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 8g