Nobby Apple Cake
Nobby Apple Cake is an easy vintage cake recipe packed fully of apple chunks, spices and walnuts. Perfect for fall!
Nobby or Knobby? I’ve seen it referred to as both. You might have seen it tucked away in an old church cookbook or among your grandmother’s recipes. It’s easy to make and full of delicious sweet apple spice flavor. I love making this recipe in the fall months.
There is no frosting for this cake. It really doesn’t need it. You can it eat plain as is or top it with caramel sauce, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
You’ll need some pantry staples plus apples for this recipe.
- Baking soda
- Apples – I used Honeycrisp apples.
- Vanilla extract (Did you know you can make your own homemade vanilla extract?)
How to Make
Preparation time will take you approximately 10 minutes, give or take.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Add butter and sugar to a bowl and cream together with a mixer until combined. Stir in egg.
- Sift together cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and flour. Stir into creamed mixture. Mix in apples, walnuts, milk and vanilla.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick. Let cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
- Serve with caramel sauce, whipped cream, ice cream or plain. A sprinkling of powdered sugar would also work.
These tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Apples for Baking
I love using Honeycrisp apples in my baking recipes. If you can’t find them, you could also try Granny Smith apples, Braeburn apples, Pink Lady apples, Gala apples or Cortland apples.
How to Store
Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze this recipe. It will keep for up to 3 months. Make a bunch in the fall months when apples are plentiful to enjoy for a few months.
We love our apple desserts!
- Apple Spice Cake
- Apple Cake with Butterscotch Sauce
- Apple Crisp Bars
- Apple Raisin Cake
- Apple Magic Dessert
- Apple Upside Down Cake
- Apple Crisp
Do you have any amazing traditional recipes passed down through the generations? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup flour
- 3 cups apples, diced and peeled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Caramel sauce, for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Add butter and sugar to a bowl and cream together with a mixer until combined. Stir in eggs.
- Sift together cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and flour. Stir into creamed mixture. Stir in apples, walnuts, milk and vanilla.
- Spread mixture in the baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until cake tests done with a toothpick. Let cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
- Serve with caramel sauce, whipped cream, ice cream or plain.
I used Honeycrisp apples.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 42gNet Carbohydrates: NAgFiber: 2gSugar: 29gSugar Alcohols: NAgProtein: 3g