Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Blueberry Upside Down Cake is so simple to whip up using fresh summer blueberries! Made with cake mix to save on time.
Blueberry Upside Down Cake
There are a lot of recipes out there in cyberspace for Blueberry Upside Down Cake. I happen to like this recipe the best from one of my grandma’s vintage cookbooks. It’s a cake mix hack. Anything that can save me time in the kitchen is a winner.
Right now, blueberries are plentiful where I live in Eastern Ontario. It’s a regular thing to see people on the sides of roads picking wild blueberries. We also have a local blueberry farm where you can buy pre-picked blueberries or pick your own. I prefer making a day out of it and picking my own.
Summer blueberries are the best, in my opinion. Buying the blueberries available in the winter months just do not have the same plumpness and taste. Fresh is best!
This recipe makes two cakes so it’s perfect for entertaining, giving as a housewarming gift or bringing to a summer potluck.
It’s seriously easy to whip up and doesn’t require any fancy techniques or tools.
Upside Down Blueberry Cake Ingredients
I like that this Upside Down Blueberry Cake recipe requires very few ingredients.
- Fresh blueberries
- Yellow cake mix
You could also use other kinds of cake mixes if you wanted to experiment. Vanilla cake mix would likely also be tasty.
How to Make Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Grease two 8 inch round cake pans. You could also use square if you like.
Pour butter in each cake pan and then sprinkle with sugar.
In a bowl, mix together blueberries and lemon zest. Spread the blueberries in each of the cake pans.
Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Stir in lemon zest. Spread the butter in each of the cake pans.
Bake for 30 minutes at 375F. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes before turning them upside down on a platter or serving plate.
Serve with whipped cream, if you like!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Can I use frozen blueberries
Yes, you can use frozen blueberries. If you’re making this recipe in the summer months, fresh blueberries will be easier to find. In the winter months? Not so much. Go ahead and use frozen blueberries, but don’t thaw them or they will discolor the batter.
What to serve with Blueberry Upside Down Cake
Though Blueberry Upside Down Cake is delicious on it’s own, sometimes you want to add a little extra oomph to your dessert. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Whipped cream
- Vanilla ice cream
Blueberry Dessert Recipes
Love blueberry desserts? I have a few more recipes for you to try.
- Blueberry Tea Cake
- Blueberry Crackle Cake
- Blueberry and Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Peach and Blueberry Pizza
- Rustic Blueberry Lemon Tart
- Blueberry Buckle
Have you tried Blueberry Upside Down Cake before?
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 pints fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 lemons, zested, divided
- 1 432g package yellow cake mix
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Grease two 8" round cake pans. Pour 1/4 cup butter in each cake pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar in each cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix blueberries with zest of one lemon. Spread blueberries, evenly, in both cake pans.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Stir in zest of one lemon. Spread batter, evenly, in cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the centre of the cake clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning upside on a platter.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
This recipe makes 2 cakes.
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
- KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 200 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 243mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 22g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g