Minestrone Soup is comfort food in a bowl. This easy family recipe is full of yummy veggies, chickpeas and baby shell pasta. So much flavor!
Minestrone Soup is Italian in origin and basically means a “soup with lots of goodies in it”. It’s filled with pasta or rice, onions, beans, carrots, celery and tomatoes. I eat it canned when I’m rushed for time. However, homemade Minestrone Soup is SOOOO much better. You can’t even really compare the two of them.
This delicious Minestrone Soup recipe is packed full of good, wholesome ingredients and is a full your tummy and soul kind of meal. It’s easy to make and won’t take too long to cook. I think the longest part of making this soup is all the chopping you have to do. And really, it’s not that much compared to some recipes.
I like making this soup on days I’m craving comfort food. It’s a great cold weather soup although you can enjoy it any time of year. Some days all you want to eat is a big and hearty bowl of mom’s soup.
Minestrone Soup Ingredients
This soup is LOADED with yummy ingredients.
For veggies, you’ll need onions, celery, garlic, diced tomatoes, carrots, zucchini and cabbage.
For spices, you’ll need a bay leaf, basil, oregano, thyme and black pepper.
For liquids, you’ll need chicken broth and V8 Juice.
Other ingredients include chickpeas and small shell pasta. You could also use any small pasta though.
How to Make Minestrone Soup
The first step is to sauté the veggies. Heat olive oil up in a large pot over medium heat. Add in the onions, celery and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add in all the other remaining ingredients in the recipe. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Can You Freeze Minestrone Soup
Yes, you can freeze Minestrone Soup with one caveat. When you are preparing the recipe, don’t include the pasta.
Pasta doesn’t freeze well and will turn into a mushy mess when you try and reheat the frozen soup.
Instead, add the pasta when you are ready to eat the soup by simply adding it to the pot and boiling it till tender.
Store the frozen soup up to three months in a freezer safe container.
Love soup? I’ve got loads of delicious soup recipes for you to try.
- Tomato Florentine Soup – An easy soup recipe ready to eat in 20 minutes! It’s full of delicious tomatoes, pasta and spinach.
- Busy Day Soup – An easy soup recipe your family will love! It’s quick to make and takes little effort. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Sausage & Cabbage Soup – This low carb soup is easy to make and tastes delish! It’s comfort food perfect for a cold winter’s day.
- Hamburger Soup – My version of my grandma’s favourite soup. It’s hearty, filling and flavourful.
- Lasagna Soup – Better than the real thing! This recipe for Lasagna Soup is simple to make and so satisfying.
You’ll also love this Hodge Podge Soup.
What is your favorite soup recipe?
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups V8 Juice
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 540 ml can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup small shell pasta, uncooked
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add in onions, celery and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 753mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g