I love macaroni & cheese, but have you ever tried it with salsa? OMG. I know some people like to add ketchup to their mac and cheese (not me though!) so it’s not really that much of a stretch to add a little salsa to your favourite recipe. This Salsa Macaroni & Cheese is made from scratch and is one of the most delicious mac and cheese recipes ever, in my humble opinion. It’s cheesy, creamy with a little bit of a kick. Everyone who tried it raved about it.
I also included some chopped green pepper to give it a little colour and crunch. If you aren’t a fan, just leave it out and it won’t make much of a difference.
This recipe sure beats the boxed stuff! Once you try it, you may never want to go back. It’s really not that much more difficult to make. Just a couple extra steps and you have a delicious homemade version to serve to your family.
Ahhh comfort food. I love it especially during this time of year when the days are shorter and colder. It fills your belly and warms your soul.
I also have a recipe for Mac and Cheese Cups if you are looking for a cute and tasty appetizer recipe.
Do you like your Macaroni & Cheese with a twist or do your prefer the regular version with no extras?
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 6 cups macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook for one minute. Gradually add in milk. Stir in salsa and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cup cheese and green pepper. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake for 5 minutes. Serve with more salsa, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 703Total Fat: 20.1gSaturated Fat: 10.9gTrans Fat: 0.4gUnsaturated Fat: 6.7gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 606.4mgCarbohydrates: 100.8gFiber: 4.5gSugar: 8.5gProtein: 28g