Lemon Curd Coconut Macaroons
Lemon curd coconut macaroons are some of the BEST I have ever tasted. Soft and chewy, filled with sweetened coconut and topped with an easy homemade lemon curd. A delicious spring or summer treat!
Lemon Curd Coconut Macaroons
The kids are on spring break this week and we are having the most beautiful weather. We decided to have a “stay”cation this year so that we could do some spring cleaning around the house. Our house definitely needs a little sprucing up before summer arrives. Spring cleaning always leaves me feeling refreshed and a little bit hungry.
Lately, I have been craving anything and everything lemon. Maybe it’s from all the cleaning. 🙂 Like any lemon lover would do, I decided to make some easy lemon curd. Now I can satisfy my lemon craving by spreading lemon curd on things like toast, muffins and pancakes. I have also been known to eat lemon curd straight out of the jar. Coconut macaroons have been on my list to bake and since I had the lemon curd, it was only natural to put some on top of the macaroons. The coconut and the lemon curd really make a nice combination.
The macaroons are made with sweetened condensed milk. I think it gives the cookies such a nice flavor and keeps them chewy. To make, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and vanilla in a large bowl. Then stir in a little bit of lemon zest into the mixture to brighten up the flavor. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Gently, fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Drop the macaroon mixture by tablespoons on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Next, take the back of a teaspoon or your finger and press down the center of the mixture making a little nest. Bake for 20 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
To make the lemon curd, juice 4-5 lemons. In a medium sized saucepan stir together lemon juice, sugar, eggs and salt until combined. Add in cubed butter, lemon zest and cook over medium-low to medium heat. At this point make sure to keep stirring the mixture until thickened. You will know it is thick enough when it coats the back of a wooden spoon. The thickening process takes about 10-15 minutes. It is worth the wait!
If you would like a smooth consistency, pour the curd through a strainer. Cool for 10 minutes and then place some plastic wrap on top of the curd and refrigerate until ready to use. Once the cookies have baked and cooled, spoon the lemon curd into the macaroons.
These lemon curd coconut macaroons are sure to satisfy any lemon and coconut lover. Enjoy!
Are you a fan of lemon and coconut?
Try my Lemon Cheese Bars – yum!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 14oz bag sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut in small cubes
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, salt, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and coconut. Mix until combined.
- With a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Using a tablespoon or medium-sized cookie scoop, drop the mixture onto the lined baking sheets about 1-inch apart.
- Taking the back of a teaspoon or your finger, press down the center of the mixture to form nest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together eggs, lemon juice, sugar and salt over medium heat.
- Stir in butter lemon zest. Keep stirring until curd thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. (About 15 minutes.)
- For a smooth texture, pour lemon curd through a strainer.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes and then cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once macaroons have baked and cooled, spoon about 1 teaspoon of curd in the center of each macaroon.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 3gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g