Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Grab a plate and silverware and dive right into this easy caramel apple dump cake. A tender and moist spiced cake with tender apples throughout topped with nuts and a caramel drizzle that is the perfect amount of sweetness. Add a scoop of ice cream or dollop of whipped cream and you have a straightforward dessert is crowd worthy.
It’s not the most glamorous name for a dessert, but it sure tastes good! While it might not be glamorous by name, the steps to making it couldn’t get any easier.
I have been making dump cakes for years, and this caramel apple dump cake is one of my family favorites. We love eating it with a scoop of ice cream, so the hot cake melts down the ice cream a bit, it is divine. Adding in the spices to the cake mix really gives it a more homemade flavor I think that sets it apart from other dump cake recipes.
Where to Serve Caramel Apple Dump Cake
My caramel apple dump cake recipe is great for whipping up for unexpected guests, family gatherings, potlucks, summer BBQs and more. There is never a wrong time to make a dump cake in my opinion.
What Is A Dump Cake
Dump Cakes are one of the simplest desserts you can make. It’s literally just “dumping” the ingredients into a baking pan – no mixing, sifting, beating or anything fancy. The ingredients all bake together in the oven, and the result is pure decadence!
I have an ample amount of cake mixes in my pantry from a sale I took advantage of earlier this year. I’ve been using them up in the form of cake mix cookies and dump cakes. One of my favorite recipes is Caramel Apple Dump Cake. It’s made with butter pecan cake mix, apple pie filling, and some caramel sundae sauce. Add a few spices and some pecans, and you have a fantastic dessert to delight your family’s sweet tooth.
Other Favorite Dump Cake Recipes to Try
Caramel Apple Dump Cake
I’m waiting for a sale on the pie fillings, and I’ll be stocking up with a bunch. I had some apple pie filling leftover in my pantry to use for this recipe. I used two cans to cover the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. You get that perfect ratio of cake to tender apple bits in every single bite.
Tips for Making Caramel Apple Dump Cake
- Butter | It’s important to make sure you use enough butter on top. It will cook and brown the cake mix. If you don’t have enough, you’ll be left with a few powdery parts that don’t appear prepared.
- Nuts| This option is something you can skip or choose to do. I used pecan halves because it is what I had in my pantry. You could use pecan pieces or leave them off if you prefer. The nuts add the perfect amount of crunch and nutty flavor. But, if you want, feel free to skip over nuts entirely.
- Spread Evenly | Make sure with a dump cake you work at spreading each layer of ingredients evenly. You want to make sure as the butter melts over the cake mix, it can bake evenly. So with each layer of filling, cake mix, caramel, and butter it is all evenly spread over the cake.
Caramel + apples is a perfect match! I plan to make a few more dump cake variations to use up the rest of my cake mixes.
How to Make Caramel Apple Dump Cake
Spread apple pie filling on the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top.
In a bowl, stir together cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the mixture in the pan. If you can’t find Butter Pecan cake mix, use yellow cake mix instead.
Cut the butter into thin squares and place evenly on top. Do not leave large gaps.
Top with pecan halves.
Put in the oven at 350F to bake for 50 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Does A Dump Cake Need to Be Refrigerated
Yes! You can serve your dump cake hot, but once it has cooled down, it does need to be refrigerated. The reason being is you have pie filling in your cake; it will spoil if left out on the counter. Now toss in the fridge and eat the rest cold, or just warm it up in the microwave for that fresh out of the oven taste.
What is the Difference Between a Dump Cake and a Cobbler?
The difference between a dump cake and cobbler are slightly different. A cobbler has a streusel topping whereas a dump cake is mainly cake with pie filling. They get mixed up, because they both are a cake-like dessert that generally has fruit.
Can You Freeze Dump Cake
You will find that there will be a slight texture change to a frozen dump cake, but the flavors will taste the same. Just allow the dump cake to cool, and then store in the freezer properly for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge before serving.
Once you try a dump cake, I don’t think you will ever look back! It is the perfect way to dress up a box cake mix, to give it that homemade feel and taste. You can play around with flavors, and they are so easy to whip up and toss in the oven.
Have you ever tried a Caramel Apple Dump Cake?
- 1 box of Butter Pecan Cake Mix
- 2 cans Apple Pie Filling (about 4 – 5 cups)
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 3/4 to 1 cup butter
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Spread the pie filling on the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Drizzle caramel sauce evenly over top.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices. Sprinkle over top of the caramel apple mixture.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over top of the caramel apple mixture.
- Cut butter into thin squares and place evenly over top the cake mix. Make sure to not leave any large gaps.
- Top with pecan halves.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 50 minutes or until cake topping is golden brown.
- Served with whipped cream or ice cream. Tastes delicious hot or cold.
HIC Oblong Rectangular Baking Dish Roasting Lasagna Pan, Fine White Porcelain, 13-Inches x 9-Inches x 2.5-Inches
Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set
OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1089 Total Fat: 48g Saturated Fat: 21.5g Unsaturated Fat: 23.7g Cholesterol: 82.6mg Sodium: 829.2mg Carbohydrates: 166.5g Fiber: 4.9g Sugar: 63.7g Protein: 7g
You Will Also Love
If you liked this post, you will also love these ones!