Chicken Tortilla Soup is the slow cooker soup you need in winter! This soup is super flavorful with diced tomatoes, chiles, chicken broth, onion, garlic, and cumin to warm the body and soul after hours of simmering in your Crockpot.
I love a good slow cooker soup. There’s nothing better than having dinner ready and waiting after a long day of running errands or working. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is just as good as the restaurants and requires little effort!
This is my favorite Mexican-inspired soup. It has all the flavor of fajitas or a chicken taco. I keep my pantry stocked with canned diced tomatoes, green chiles, and chicken broth so I can throw this together any day!
Have an out-of-the-box taco night with tortilla soup and this Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
I love a well-stocked pantry of quality canned food for dishes like Chicken Tortilla Soup. When you mix canned food and fresh food, you usually get a delicious dinner.
- Chicken breasts
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Can of diced chiles
- Chicken broth
- Corn tortilla strips
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
The last two ingredients are for garnish, but you can do anything on top! I’ve seen people serve tortilla soup with lime wedges or sour cream, too.
If you like your soup a little spicier, get the hot diced tomatoes or add a little cayenne pepper and paprika.
What I used for my Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot: I didn’t get an Instant Pot as soon as they came out, but I wish I had. This trendy device is a one-stop shop and can make a whole meal without dirtying another dish.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Everyone needs a good set of measuring cups and spoons, and these are excellent! The handles make the measuring tools easy to attach and stay together. No more losing that tiny teaspoon in your drawer!
- Mixing bowls: I prefer using glass mixing bowls and these have been my go-to for years. My kids love looking inside them while I’m cooking or baking!
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- First, put the chicken in the Crockpot and mix together your tomatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, cumin, and a little broth. Add that to your slow cooker.
- Then, cover and set to low heat for about 6 hours. Once cooked, shred chicken and return to slow cooker with more broth for another hour.
- Now, add tortillas to the Crockpot just before serving. I like to top my tortilla soup with cheese, avocado, and a little lime juice.
This soup is so simple! I like to throw it together before a busy work day and have a fresh and healthy dinner waiting for me.
How to Store Leftovers
This Chicken Tortilla Soup will last about 4 days in the fridge for a great meal prep option!
Frozen, this tortilla soup will last up to 6 months in airtight freezer-safe containers. Be sure to date your frozen soups and always check for any change in smell or color.
I prefer to freeze soup in individual portions so I don’t have to thaw a whole pot worth just for one lunch.
If you’re making this soup for meal prep, I recommend waiting to add the tortillas until you reheat it. If you add them and leave them for days, they could break apart and make the soup a different consistency.
How to Reheat Soup
Homemade soup is one of my favorite things to keep in the freezer because it’s so easy to reheat!
If your soup is thawed, put it in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
If your soup is frozen, try thawing it before reheating. If you can’t thaw it, you can use your microwave in 20-second bursts, stirring between, if you can’t get your frozen soup out of the container.
If your soup is too thick, add a little chicken broth or water.
Other amazing soup recipes to try…
- Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Pizza Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Taco Chili
- Italian Sausage and Vegetable Stew
Do you have any amazing soup recipes? I’m always looking for more recipes to try! Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, on Facebook at Simply Stacie, and on Pinterest @SimplyStacie and let me know how you liked this and my other recipes!
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced
- Lime juice to taste
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Combine tomatoes with juice, chilies, 1/2 cup broth, onion, garlic and cumin in a bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low heat for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Cook on low for another hour.
- Just before serving, add tortillas to slow cooker. Stir to blend. Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese , avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 12.6gSaturated Fat: 3.7gUnsaturated Fat: 6.6gCholesterol: 108.5mgSodium: 914.3mgCarbohydrates: 38.9gFiber: 6.4gSugar: 8.7gProtein: 39.1g