Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious and hearty soup with a Mexican flair. It can be enjoyed anytime of year, but I find it particularly good during the colder months. It’s soup season, after all!
Soup is one of my favourite winter meals. Actually I should clarify…soup in the slow cooker is one of my favourite winter meals. There’s nothing better than watching the snow fall outside and having the house filled with delicious aromas.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is very simple to make and not too spicy. The avocado and the lime juice help to balance out some of the heat. If you like that spice, you don’t have to add in the extras.
I found this recipe in my Crock-Pot magazine and modified it a little by using chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs.
I usually buy chicken breasts because they are our favourite cut of chicken. I prefer white meat over dark. What about you?
This soup is great to enjoy when you aren’t feeling the best. I find chicken soup so comforting and the spice in this soup clears up the sinuses. When I eat wholesome foods, I think it helps me to feel better sooner. Just a theory.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
In a mixing bowl, stir together, tomatoes with juice, chilies, 1/2 cup broth, onion, garlic and cumin. Pour the mixture over the chicken in the slow cooker. Put the cover on.
Cook on low heat for 6 hours. You may be tempted to open it up and check on it, but don’t. You’ll lose that precious heat!
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and add another 1/2 cup of broth.
Cover and cook on low for another hour.
When you are ready to serve the soup, add the tortillas to the slow cooker and stir to blend.
Serve in soup bowls. Top with shredded cheese, avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Craving more soup? Soup season is here. Check out these delicious recipes.
- Busy Day Soup: An easy soup recipe your family will love! It’s quick to make and takes little effort. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Cheeseburger Chowder: Hearty and comforting! A big bowl of this delicious chowder will keep you warm on a cold day.
- Hamburger Soup: My version of my grandma’s favourite soup. It’s hearty, filling and flavourful. Enjoy a piping hot bowl on a cold winter’s day.
- Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup: Hearty, comforting soup that will fill your belly and warm your soul! A crowd-pleasing favorite.
- Pizza Soup: A simple slow cooker recipe for Pizza Soup made with all my favourite pizza toppings!
If you give this Chicken Tortilla Soup a try, let me know how you liked it!
What do you add to your Chicken Tortilla Soup?
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, diced
- Lime juice to taste
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Combine tomatoes with juice, chilies, 1/2 cup broth, onion, garlic and cumin in a bowl. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low heat for 6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Cook on low for another hour.
- Just before serving, add tortillas to slow cooker. Stir to blend. Serve in soup bowls, topping each serving with cheese , avocado and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
- Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421 Total Fat: 12.6g Saturated Fat: 3.7g Unsaturated Fat: 6.6g Cholesterol: 108.5mg Sodium: 914.3mg Carbohydrates: 38.9g Fiber: 6.4g Sugar: 8.7g Protein: 39.1g