Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Since National Sweet Potato Month starts in February, some friends and I thought it would be fun to create some recipes using sweet potatoes as the main ingredient. It’s only in recent years that I started eating sweet potatoes. I don’t remember my mom ever making them when I was growing up. Our family loves them including my girls. They are so versatile to cook with. You can bake them, fry them and even use them in desserts! I plan to make a sweet potato cheesecake soon so I’ll be sure to post the recipe on my site once I do.

Today I wanted to share this recipe for Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. They are simple to make and taste amazing. The inside is sweet, creamy and rich. I can usually only eat one at a time since they are so filling! The addition of cream cheese makes them creamy and smooth and they don’t require a lot of extra sweeteners since sweet potatoes are naturally sweet. Some recipes call for brown sugar to be added, but I make mine without sugar and use only maple syrup to sweeten. I only use about 1 tbsp and I think any more they would be too sweet! Add pecans at the top adds a contrast of texture.

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

•  4 sweet potatoes
  • 1 8oz package cream cheese, cut into inch cubes
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • ¼ cup pecans
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup

Wrap sweet potatoes in aluminum foil. Bake in a 400°F oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until potatoes are softened. Let cool for 15 minutes or until you are able to handle them.

Unwrap sweet potatoes and cut in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the insides into a bowl leaving only a shell with the skin.

In the bowl with the scooped sweet potatoes, add in cream cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup and vanilla and mash together until blended.

Add a few tbsp of the mixture to each potato skin. Top with pecans.

Place sweet potatoes back in a 350°F oven to heat up for about 5 to 7 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 8 individual potatoes.

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

For more sweet potato recipes, check out these recipes for Simple Sweet Potato Soup, Loaded Sweet Potato Skins, Sweet Potato and Chicken Shepherd’s PieSweet Potato Cupcakes with Buttercream Maple Walnut Frosting and Baked Sweet Potatoes

Comments

1. Tina Deeds says

Oh, my! I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing this. I used to love to eat twice baked potatoes. And I never thought of adding cream cheese to them. I can’t wait to pick up some sweet potatoes to try this. Thanks for sharing!

2. Karen Glatt says

We love sweet potatoes in your house, and these look so delicious! I want to make these for my family. They are so much healthier than regular potatoes!

3. Erika B says

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering!!! I LOVE sweet potatoes, I am definitely making these and sharing this!!! Thanks!!!

4. Anne says

I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes, but it never occurred to me to make twice-baked sweet potatoes. What a great idea! And I love the addition of maple syrup, too. Thanks for the recipe.

5. Jan Hall says

This sounds delicious. I would not have thought to use the cream cheese. I will have to try this recipe. I pinned it.

6. Kim Allmon says

Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! I’ve done twice baked potatoes before, but never even thought of using sweet potatoes, my favorite. I enjoyed your take on the recipe using cream cheese & the other spices…will definitely be making these!

7. Jerry C says

I’ll have to introduce my wife to this recipe. She loves sweet potatoes any way that you can cook them. I think she’ll love it.

8. Lisa Kerr says

I love sweet potatos! And I love them fixed almost everway so thanks for sharing your recipe! Im adding it to my recipe box!

I love baked sweet potatoes but I have never thought of doing this with them. This sound delicious and I cant wait to make them.thanks so much for the recipe . YUM

10. M.Clarkk says

This looks very delicious, it’s also very creative, I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

11. Laurie P says

I’d probably skip the cream cheese and double up on the nuts, looove pecans, and sweet potatoes with a little crunch sounds yummy!

These look good and elegant. I didn’t realize that February was sweet potato month, but my husband will love it. He loves a good rich and sweet sweet potato. I have never tried doing it with cream cheese before. Sounds creamy and good. Thanks.

13. Mary B says

I like this recipe! We’re trying to do more sweet potatoes and end up halving one.. so I can bake 2 and get two meals from it!

14. laurie nykaza says

We just love sweet potatoes and Pecans too so these look delicious to eat. I have never seen them twice baked before with cream cheese so we will have to give these a try.

15. Panda says

Is there something to use in place of cream cheese? my husband’s lactose intolerant, other than that, these sound amazing.