This Mayonnaise Cake is super moist and delicious. Use mayonnaise instead of eggs in this yummy chocolate cake recipe.
Did you know that if you don’t have eggs for a cake recipe that you can use mayonnaise? It actually adds an extra element of richness to the recipe.
Mayonnaise is made up of oil, vinegar and eggs which makes the cake tender, moist and brings out the chocolate flavor. I only use Hellmann’s mayonnaise at home, but you could try other brands and use whatever you have in your fridge.
Mayonnaise Cake is a vintage recipe that grandma’s have been baking for years. You know it’s a good recipe when grandma makes it!
This easy cake is great for a quick dessert or as a snacking cake served with some afternoon coffee or tea.
Add your favourite chocolate frosting to give it an extra burst of sweetness. I sprinkled the cake pieces with powdered sugar to serve to my family.
How to Make Mayonnaise Cake
Start by preheating the oven to 350F and greasing an 8×8 baking pan.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Then stir in water, mayonnaise, milk and vanilla extract.
Spread the cake batter in the baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. The cake will begin to pull away from the sides of the baking pan when it’s fully cooked.
Let it cool a bit before cutting into pieces.
Top with frosting, powdered sugar, ice cream and/or chocolate sauce to serve. So yummy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Here are some kitchen tools that will help you prepare this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
Who knew you could use mayonnaise in a cake recipe? I discovered this little trick a few years back and have made this easy old-fashioned mayonnaise cake recipe many times. It’s always been a hit in our home and I hope you love it, too.
Chocolate Cake Recipes
I have a few more delicious chocolate cake recipes for you to try.
- Banana Chocolate Cake: Rich, luscious and fully of yummy chocolate flavour. You won’t be able to stop at just one piece.
- Hot Fudge Pudding Cake: So sinfully rich! Luscious chocolate cake bakes right with a creamy, chocolatey pudding sauce.
- Mocha Cake: This Mocha Cake recipe is wonderful served with coffee or tea. It’s moist and delicious with hints of chocolate and coffee flavours.
- Earthquake Cake: Feel the earth move with this luscious dessert! It may not be the prettiest dessert, but it sure tastes delicious.
- Wacky Cake: Moist, chocolatey and easy to make! This vintage cake was popular in the Depression era and contains no butter, milk or eggs.
Have you ever used mayonnaise in a chocolate cake recipe?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in water, mayonnaise, milk and vanilla. Spread mixture into a greased 8x8 baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 24.6gSaturated Fat: 6.4gTrans Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 17.4gCholesterol: 11.9mgSodium: 420.5mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 26.1gProtein: 4.2g