Root Beer Float Sheet Cake tastes like the classic dessert beverage. Chocolate sheet cake infused with root beer and topped with a vanilla root beer frosting. This sheet cake is sure to make your crowd happy.
My six year old son recently discovered root beer floats. We try not to give the kids soda but we let him have it for a special treat. It really blew his mind when I added a small scoop of vanilla ice cream! He declared root beer floats to be the best drink ever! Can’t say I disagree.
Root Beer Float Sheet Cake
I decided to use the yummy flavors of a root beer float and make a sheet pan cake. Lately, I have been trying different flavor combinations of sheet cakes because they are so easy to make and feed a crowd. We have our friends and family over a lot during the summer months and sheet cakes are the perfect thing to have on hand for dessert.
This cake starts with some basic cake ingredients, flour, sugar cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. One cup of root beer is then mixed in with vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla. The wet and dry ingredients are then stirred together and poured into an 11×17 sheet pan. No mixer required!
The root beer taste is not too strong. It adds the perfect hint of root beer flavor to the cake.
I went back and forth on topping the cake with a vanilla “float” frosting or chocolate frosting. After surveying the kids, the float frosting won. They definitely made the right choice. I could have licked the whole bowl of frosting.
For the frosting, I again added some root beer instead of milk to a vanilla frosting base. Yum! This is one of my favorite cakes I have made to date. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you are ready to eat. This is a wonderful cake to bring for a summer party or gathering.
For more easy, family friendly food, feel free to visit me over at foodlovinfamily.com .
Do you like sheet cakes?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup root beer
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup root beer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 11×17 sheet cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together vegetable oil, root beer, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients in with dry ingredients. Stir until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the cake has been taken out of the oven start preparing frosting.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add root beer and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Spread over cake. Optional top with cherries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 236Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 30gProtein: 1g