This recipe started out as a bit of an experiment. I’ve made beef in the slow cooker with pop before, but had never attempted it with chicken. I decided I’d give it a whirl and see what it was like. I added a can of cherries, Coca-Cola, barbecue sauce and chicken. I thought about adding onion soup mix too, but ended up leaving it out.
The result was interesting, but tasty! I didn’t find it overly sweet. John said whatever this is, make it again. I take that as a good sign. He ended up eating more than the rest of us.
I experiment quite a bit in the kitchen. I have had my share of fails! This one I’m chalking up to a recipe success. Would you try it?
What is your favorite slow cooker chicken recipe?
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Coca-Cola
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 can (398ml/13.5oz) Bing Cherries, with syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together Coca-Cola, barbecue sauce and cherries. Pour over chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook for 8 hours on low. Turn off heat.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker. Stir together cornstarch and water. Pour into slow cooker and stir to thicken sauce.
- Add chicken breasts back into slow cooker and shred with two forks. Mix with sauce. Serve over a bed of rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 38g