It is hard to improve on a brownie, but these banana split brownies are a fun twist. Banana splits were always a huge treat growing up. I remember feeling like I hit the jackpot if my parents took us out to the ice cream shop for a banana split. It is hard to beat the classic flavor combination of ice cream, bananas, chocolate syrup and of course the cherry on top!
We always have bananas in the house but most of the time they don’t last long enough to get really ripe. Last week I noticed that we had two brown bananas that needed to be used. I took advantage of the situation and made these banana split brownies. The mashed bananas in the brownie batter really add a nice hint of flavor. Spread on some easy homemade strawberry cream cheese frosting and you feel like you are at the ice cream shop.
To make the from scratch brownies, mix together butter, sugar, eggs and mashed banana. The recipe calls for one cup of mashed bananas. Two bananas usually is the perfect amount. Add dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour batter into a 9×13 baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Cool the brownies and then spread on strawberry cream cheese frosting. For the frosting, mix together butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, seedless strawberry jam and a splash of milk.
I love to top the brownies with classic banana split toppings like whipped cream, crushed nuts and a cherry but these brownies are also amazing by themselves.
Summer is right around the corner. Time for BBQ’s, picnics and potlucks. These banana split brownies are a great treat to bring to all of your summer events. If you have ripe bananas sitting around, consider giving these brownies a try. Enjoy!
Try these Caramel Bacon Brownies.
Do you love the flavor of banana splits?
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 bananas)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package (8oz/250g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- (drop of red food coloring optional)
- (chopped walnuts, whipped cream, cherry optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Mix in sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in eggs and mashed banana.
- Beat in flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake brownies for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to completely cool.
- While brownies are cooling, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, strawberry jam and milk. Mix until combined and creamy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Spread frosting over brownies. Serve with whipped cream, nuts and a cherry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Meal Planning Binder
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g