Delicious homemade brownies with a hint of banana and topped with strawberry cream cheese frosting. These Banana Split Brownies are a fun dessert that everyone will enjoy!
It is hard to improve on a brownie, but these banana split brownies are a fun twist. Banana splits were always a huge treat growing up. I remember feeling like I hit the jackpot if my parents took us out to the ice cream shop for a banana split. It is hard to beat the classic flavor combination of ice cream, bananas, chocolate syrup, and of course the cherry on top!
We always have bananas in the house but most of the time they don’t last long enough to get really ripe. Last week I noticed that we had two brown bananas that needed to be used. I took advantage of the situation and made these banana split brownies. The mashed bananas in the brownie batter really add a nice hint of flavor. Spread on some easy homemade strawberry cream cheese frosting and you feel like you are at the ice cream shop.
I love to top the brownies with classic banana split toppings like whipped cream, crushed nuts, and a cherry but these brownies are also amazing by themselves.
Summer is right around the corner. Time for BBQs, picnics, and potlucks. These banana split brownies are a great treat to bring to all of your summer events. If you have ripe bananas sitting around, consider giving these brownies a try.
Why You’ll Love These Banana Split Brownies
- Made from scratch
- A fun twist on a classic brownie recipe
- Will satisfy your sweet tooth
- Takes only 40 minutes to make
- Perfect way to use up ripe bananas
- Kids love to help decorate
To make the brownie mix from scratch, you will need:
- Butter will help enhance the flavors of the brownies.
- Sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, all-purpose flour, and unsweetened cocoa powder. The baking powder and baking soda will help the brownies “rise” in the oven so they aren’t super flat. The sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder will add a hint of sweetness to the brownies.
- Eggs will a bit of structure to the brownies and help them plump up in the oven like the baking powder and baking soda does.
- Mashed bananas will add the banana flavor as well as help the brownies to melt in your mouth.
To make the Frosting, you will need:
- Cream cheese and butter will combine to help the frosting be a buttercream consistency.
- Seedless strawberry jam will give the frosting a jelly-like consistency and add in a delicious strawberry flavor.
- Powdered sugar and milk will make the frosting sweet and creamy for easy spreading.
- Red food coloring, chopped walnuts, whipped cream, and cherries are completely optional but I highly recommend them so you can get the full banana split flavor.
*For the full ingredient quantities, please see the recipe card below*
How to Make Banana Split Brownies
Making these brownies are so easy that you will want to make them every week.
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step Two: Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Step Three: Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at a medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Step Four: Mix in the sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Step Five: Mix in the eggs and mashed bananas.
- Step Six: Beat in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Step Seven: Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Step Eight: Bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes.
- Step Nine: Remove from the oven and allow brownies to completely cool.
- Step Ten: While the brownies are cooling, use an electric mixer to beat together the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, strawberry jam, and milk. Mix until combined and creamy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Step Eleven: Spread the frosting over the brownies and serve with whipped cream, chopped walnuts, and a cherry.
This post contains affiliate links.
- A hand mixer will help the batter and frosting get completely smooth and free of any clumps.
- A glass baking dish will help make sure that nothing sticks to the pan or the bottoms don’t burn. This one also gets bonus points for having a lid for easy storage.
- A set of measuring cups will ensure that you get the right amount of ingredients so you get the best flavor possible for every recipe.
What to Serve with Banana Split Brownies
Because of the cream cheese frosting, I recommend storing the brownies, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, they can be frozen! You can freeze them in an airtight container for up 3 months then unthaw them overnight in the fridge when you get ready to eat them.
Brownie Inspired Recipes
- Brownie Mix Cookies
- Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies
- Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- Caramel Bacon Brownies
- Cherry Chocolate Brownies
- Reese’s Stuffed Brownies
- Chocolate Raspberry Brownies
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 bananas)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 package (8oz/250g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- (drop of red food coloring optional)
- (chopped walnuts, whipped cream, cherry optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Mix in sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in eggs and mashed banana.
- Beat in flour and cocoa powder.
- Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake brownies for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow brownies to completely cool.
- While brownies are cooling, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, strawberry jam and milk. Mix until combined and creamy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Spread frosting over brownies. Serve with whipped cream, nuts and a cherry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Meal Planning Binder
New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4Pcs Measuring Cups And Spoons Combo Set, Silver
KitchenAid KHM7210CU 7-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Contour Silver
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inch
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g