Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting is an incredible banana cupcake recipe. Soft, tender cupcakes that are studded with chocolate chips in every bite.
I had two ulterior motives when I made this recipe. One is that I wanted to use up those brown bananas that were sitting on my counter top. They were imploring me to eat or throw away. I chose to eat, of course.
The second reason is that I wanted to try out my new artificial light! I’ve dabbled a bit in artificial light over the years, but never really finding one that I liked. I was hoping this one would be different. If you are curious, this is the artificial light I’m using.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Back to the recipe! It’s a pretty basic recipe with nothing that fancy about it. Maybe that’s why it’s so good? I added chocolate chips, but it would taste ok without them. They weren’t originally going to be in the recipe, but my youngest daughter suggested we add them and I thought why not.
My favorite part was the frosting. I wanted to eat it straight out of the bowl. I’m a huge creamy peanut butter fan and this frosting is ultra decadent! I added a few chocolate chips to the top of each cupcake to make them look pretty.
Can I Substitute Peanut Butter in this Cupcake Recipe
As I was making this recipe, I thought about using the new Reese Peanut Butter Chocolate spread in place of the peanut butter. I filed that idea away for another time. Bridget adores the stuff! I think it’s pretty tasty. Another alternative could be to use a nut butter if you don’t like or can’t have peanut butter.
I think my night time baking adventure turned out great! The cupcakes were delish and they made up for the disaster zone that my kitchen became. (It was DOUBLE the mess with all my baking and photography equipment set up!).
Do You Need Ripe Bananas for Banana Cupcakes
Yes, you will want to use ripe bananas for these banana cupcakes. Ripe bananas will help add flavor to your cupcakes and they will mush up better. Look for bananas that are speckled with brown and fragrant when you smell them.
Do Banana Cupcakes Need Refrigerated
You will want to store these banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting in the fridge. The reason being is they will last longer and not spoil if left out at room temperature on the counter.
I place them in an airtight container and then store for up to 5-7 days in the fridge. Now, if you prefer them at room temperature just take the cupcakes out and let them sit for 30 minutes before you eat. It will help to give you that light and moist cupcake texture. I personally don’t mind them cold straight from the fridge.
How to Make Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
The first step is to preheat your oven. You want to make sure your oven is nice and hot before you place your cupcakes in to bake. Then in a bowl begin working on your cupcake batter. Place in a lined muffin tin and bake until they are cooked through. You can stick a toothpick in the center and if the toothpick comes out clean, then you know they are done.
Allow the cupcakes to fully cool and then begin working on your peanut butter frosting. You can use a piping bag or opt to smear it on if you are not a fan of piping. Either way, it will taste amazing.
Then I topped my cupcakes with a few chocolate chips. You could even drizzle chocolate syrup over the top or top with a few salted peanuts.
If you love cupcakes like me, you will enjoy these cupcake recipes
- Coconut Cream Pie Cupcakes | I love coconut and these cream pie cupcakes are moist, decadent, and downright loaded with rich coconut flavor.
- Death By Chocolate Cupcakes | If you are a lover of chocolate, these ultra-rich and indulgent cupcakes will melt in your mouth with flavor. I have made these a handful of times and they never last long.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes | If you love pineapple upside-down cake you will love my cupcake version. A cupcake that is super moist, and filled with sweet pineapple flavor.
Can You Freeze Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes. Bake accordingly and then you can leave them without frosting or top them with frosting. Then place in a freezer-friendly container and stick in the freezer. They will store for up to three months in the freezer. When you want one, let it thaw on the counter or in the fridge overnight.
If you enjoy banana recipes, you have to try my cupcake recipe. You will be impressed and have a new recipe to serve up family and friends.
You’ll also like these Death by Chocolate Cupcakes.
What type of frosting do you like on your banana cupcakes?
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar (aka powdered sugar)
- 2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, add butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium until blended. Add sour cream and vanilla and continue beating. Add the egg and egg yolk and beat after each addition.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix together until blended.
- Fold in bananas and chocolate chips.
- Fill each cupcake about 3/4 of the way full with an ice cream scoop. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing them to a wire rack. Cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Add in icing sugar slowly and continue to beat. Add in milk and beat until smooth.
- Place icing in a pastry bag with a large tip and frost the cupcakes. Garnish with chocolate chips, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 355mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 7g