Sweet and Sour Carrots
These Sweet and Sour Carrots are a mouthwatering side dish for chicken or beef. Each bite is the perfect blend of sweet and sour flavors. Serve them for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Sweet and Sour Carrots
I was never a big carrot fan growing up. Mind you, I wasn’t a big fan of any vegetable so I can’t really give carrots all the credit.
My dad would often say eat your carrots so you can have good eyesight. I didn’t listen and my eyesight is terrible so maybe he was on to something?
Fast forward to today and I’m all about the sweet, tasty carrots. Gimme them all now!
These Sweet and Sour Carrots are super easy to make, healthy and full of yumminess. I hope your family loves them as much as mine do.
How to Make Sweet and Sour Carrots
Cut 8 medium carrots into rounds and add to a saucepan filled with water. Bring to a boil. Cook for about 9 minutes or until the carrots are fork tender. Reserve 1/4 cup carrot water. Drain the carrots and set aside.
In another saucepan, melt the butter. Add cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and carrot water. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Pour the Sweet and Sour sauce over the cooked carrots and stir to combine. Serve hot.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Then add a big ol’ heaping helping to your dinner plate. Yummy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
Here are some kitchen tools to help you out.
This post contains affiliate links.
Our Thanksgiving in Canada has already past in October, but American Thanksgiving is coming up soon. This easy Sweet and Sour Carrots recipe is lovely side to add to your family’s dinner table.
It would also make a great side for your Christmas dinner table. We typically eat our Christmas dinner o Boxing Day (December 26th). My mom usually hosts it at her place and asks each of us to bring a dish.
Sweet and Sour Carrots are a dish I know my family would enjoy.
For more yummy carrot recipes, check out these yummy recipes from my recipe box.
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots: Tender and perfectly roasted carrots topped with fresh thyme and melted Parmesan cheese. So tasty!
- Cream of Carrot Soup: Smooth, creamy and full of flavor. This delicious soup recipe is great any time of year.
- Shipwreck Casserole: The kind of meal grandma used to make! This layered casserole is stick to your bones delicious.
- Carrot Loaf: Made with all the spicy flavours of fall! If you like spice cake, you’ll love this easy loaf recipe.
So if you are looking for a delicious dish to serve your family, this is it. You’ll get all the important health benefits, too! Carrots are full of antioxidants and vitamin A as well as other nutrients.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you liked it. I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments.
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup carrot water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Add carrots to a saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 9 minutes or until carrots are tender. Reserve 1/4 cup carrot water. Drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan, melt butter. Add cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and carrot water. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over carrots and serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 76Total Fat: 2.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 5.1mgSodium: 56.9mgCarbohydrates: 14.5gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 10.1gProtein: 0.8g