I don’t know whether to classify this comfort food recipe as a casserole or side dish. It’s hearty enough to be a meal on its own. Think potatoes smothered in ranch sauce and loaded up with crispy bacon, caramelized onions and melted Swiss cheese. Consider it whatever you like. It will be darn good no matter what!
The extra prep work required is well worth it. The potatoes are fully cooked on the stove before you put them in the oven. This way you’ll know they’ll be soft and tender. No crunchy potatoes allowed.
I also cooked the bacon and onion together on the stove and had to hold myself back from eating it right out of the pan. I often use bacon and onion together in recipes. It’s the start of how I make my very favourite frittata recipe.
If you aren’t fond of ranch dressing, feel free to switch out for another kind. Same goes for the Swiss cheese. Mozzarella would work nicely here too.
Casseroles aren’t the easiest to photograph, but I hope I could convey to you just how yummy this recipe is. It will be making regular appearances on my family’s meal plan. Everyone devoured the last batch in one sitting. Sadly, there were no leftovers.
I’d love to hear whether you’d serve this recipe as a side dish or a meal on its own!
- 5 potatoes, washed, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 (12oz/375g) package of bacon, cut into one inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Boil potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add bacon and onion to a hot skillet over medium heat. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until bacon is cooked and onions are softened and starting to caramelize. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread potatoes in the casserole dish to cover the bottom. Top evenly with onion and bacon mixture. Pour ranch dressing evenly over top and then sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 9g