Texas Beef Skillet
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal made in one pan, you will love this Texas Beef Skillet! It’s hearty and comforting filled with the flavours of chili and rice.
Texas Beef Skillet
I personally love one-pan meals. I make SUCH a mess in the kitchen. I tend to use every pot or bowl and rarely, do I clean as I go. I know that it’s a good practice to have, but I’m always so rushed. The family is starving (so am I usually) so I want dinner on the table as fast as possible. I’ll deal with the mess later.
This recipe has been around for a while and I guess the chili/rice flavour makes it Texan. I’ve been to Texas once (Dallas) about five years ago for a blog conference. I loved it there and had a great time. Everyone was very friendly. We went out to dinner at Texas Roadhouse and it was delicious. Love their rolls and cinnamon butter. Our meal was big and filling just like this recipe!
How to Make Texas Beef Skillet
Grab a large skillet and get ready, get set, GO!
The first step is to brown the ground beef and cook the onions. Drain off the fat if you find there is a lot.
Stir in chili powder, salt and garlic salt. Then, stir in diced tomatoes with their juices, undrained kidney beans, uncooked Minute Rice, water and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Top the skillet with shredded cheese, green onions and crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
It’s just Bridget and me at home now. My oldest daughter, Olivia, is away in her second year of university. When I make this recipe, we usually have leftovers and it tastes great even the next day.
Bridget is normally starving after school so I need to have supper ready early for her. She also is busy in the evenings with her horseback riding and homework so the earlier we eat the better.
This Texas Beef Skillet is a meal she loves. She always puts on extra cheese and tortilla chips.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 19oz can kidney beans
- 3/4 cup Minute Rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Shredded cheese, green onion & crushed tortilla chips, for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and cook onions over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Stir in chili powder, salt and garlic salt. Stir in diced tomatoes with juices, undrained kidney beans, uncooked Minute Rice, water and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese, green onion and crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
- Cuisinart 622-30G Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet with Glass Cover
- OXO Good Grips Wooden Corner Spoon & Scraper
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253 Total Fat: 3.4g Saturated Fat: 1.3g Trans Fat: 0.1g Unsaturated Fat: 1.9g Cholesterol: 45.2mg Sodium: 777.6mg Carbohydrates: 32.5g Fiber: 7.3g Sugar: 8.8g Protein: 24.5g