Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a hearty and comforting weeknight dinner waiting for you. Tender beef, rich savory sauce, mushrooms, and served over a bed of egg noodles.
I grew up hating Beef Stroganoff with a passion. My mom’s recipe used cream of mushroom soup which I could not stand as a kid. Mind you I was a very picky eater and hard to please.
The list of foods I would eat was short. I know I gave my parents a very hard time with eating as a kid. Thankfully I grew out of it and now am willing to try just about anything at least once. A big change from my 8 year old self!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This recipe for Beef Stroganoff does not include cream of mushroom soup and is also made in the slow cooker. It uses fresh mushrooms not canned – which I still don’t like.
There’s no pre-cooking anything. Just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker except the sour cream and set it on low. Simple! My house smells so good while it’s cooking and it’s hard to not want to sneak a quick taste.
Dump and Cook Slow Cooker Recipe
My niece, Avery, was visiting over the holidays and spent the night at our house. She’s six years old and cute as a button. She’s also very intelligent and told me that she loved the recipe. She cleaned her entire plate! She is not picky like my girls! Bridget would only eat the sauce as long as I didn’t get any mushrooms in it. Olivia ate it and thankfully has outgrown her picky behaviour.
I would make this more often if the steak wasn’t so darn expensive. It’s funny because the steak was cheaper in Nova Scotia, but the chicken was pricey. Here in Ontario, it’s the opposite!
We eat more chicken, but I do like to mix it up with beef every so often.
How Do You Make Beef Stroganoff in the Slow Cooker
Start by placing your steak, onions, mushrooms, mustard, salt, and pepper, along with dill and garlic. Give the mixture a stir, and then work on making your sauce in a separate bowl.
For the sauce you will grab a bowl and mix your broth with the flour, slowly whisking it. Then you will pour it over the ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook for 6-7 hours on low.
At this point turn off your slow cooker and let it sit for about 15 minutes, then stir in your sour cream. Pair with egg noodles, rice or mashed potatoes if you would like.
What is the Best Beef for Beef Stroganoff
You are welcome to use any type of beef you would like. Whether you buy beef stew meat, flat iron steak, or more. You will want to cut up your steak for this recipe.
You will find that better quality beef will give you a more tender and flavorful stroganoff. But since it cooks low and slow for such a long time, it will do great tenderizing even tastier.
Why Do You Let the Crock-Pot Cool Before Storing in Sour Cream
You will need to let your crock pot cool down a bit because if you dump the sour cream in while it is pretty hot you will find it curdles right away. You can also whisk in the sour cream to help it to incorporate it into the mixture.
Want even more slow cooker recipe ideas
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken | Rich, creamy and downright delicious. You will love this recipe, it is loaded with flavor and one that you can make whenever you get a craving.
- Slow Cooker Potatoes | Here is a crazy simple recipe that will make these potatoes be the ultimate side dish. Whip up for holidays, weeknight meals and more.
- 40 Clove Garlic Chicken | This chicken recipe is so incredible. Bone-in chicken that is so juicy and flavorful. You will love this recipe if you enjoy chicken and garlic.
- Slow Cooker Lasagna | I love a good pasta dish, and this slow cooker lasagna is one dish we love. Plus the prep is crazy simple and boy is it tasty.
Can I Make this Beef Stroganoff on the Stove
Of course, you will do essentially the same steps but you won’t cook for near as long. You would turn the stove to low once you begin cooking and stir occasionally. Once your steak is fully cooked and begins to get tender, you can then turn off for 15 minutes just like the slow cooker method. Then stir in the sour cream and serve.
How Long Does Beef Stroganoff Store for
You can store this stroganoff in the fridge for up to three days. Anything after that you will want to use your best judgment in terms of if the dish has spoiled.
Then to reheat you can toss in the microwave for a quick reheat, stovetop or if you want to make a lot crockpot for reheating. It is totally up to you on how you choose to reheat your beef stroganoff.
This truly is a hearty, comforting and delicious dinner. If you want to serve up a tasty meal but don’t want a ton of prep, give it a try and let me know how you like this recipe.
How do you make your Beef Stroganoff?
- 1 lb steak of your pick, cut into quarter inch slices
- 2 onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups egg noodles, cooked
- fresh dill, optional
- Place steak, onions, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, dill, mushrooms and garlic in a slow cooker and stir together.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and then slowly whisk in the beef broth. Add to slow cooker mixture and stir together.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Turn slow cooker off and remove lid and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
- Serve sauce on a bed of egg noodles. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 799mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 43g