I’m not a big corn fan, but I do enjoy a bowl of piping hot Corn Chowder. I’ll make an exception this time for creamed corn. Corn Chowder is typically a summer soup recipe, but you can make it any time of year. This recipe uses canned cream corn and frozen corn so you don’t have to worry about finding fresh corn for the ingredients.
The first time I tried Corn Chowder was during a visit to an historical visit in New Brunswick. We’d stopped for lunch at the little café and the soup of the day was Corn Chowder. I thought I’d give it a try because I didn’t want to order a big meal. It was delicious! I love the sweetness of the corn and the savoury flavours of the veggies. It even came with a side of cornbread which I devoured by dipping it into my soup. So good.
I love how each spoonful is packed full of flavour. This is a very easy recipe to make and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
How to Make Corn Chowder
The first step is to cook the veggies in the soup post. Add the onion, potato, celery, red pepper and red pepper flakes to olive oil in a large pot. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
The last step is to add in the milk, creamed corn, frozen corn and season with salt and pepper. Heat for another 5 to 10 minutes until the soup is nice and hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
I love making soup for dinner on busy weeknights. I usually serve it with a dinner roll or, in this case, cornbread.
It also makes a filling lunch if you pair it with a sandwich. Homemade soup is so much better than the storebought stuff.
You might also like this Minestrone Soup.
Do you like Corn Chowder?
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 398ml can creamed corn
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, potato, celery, red pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Pour in chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add in milk, creamed corn, frozen corn, salt and pepper. Heat for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until hot.
- Cuisinart 766-24 Chef's Classic 8-Quart Stockpot with Cover
- Cuisinart C77SS-15PK 15-Piece Stainless Steel Hollow Handle Block Set
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153 Total Fat: 2.7g Saturated Fat: 0.7g Unsaturated Fat: 1.7g Cholesterol: 4.7mg Sodium: 449.3mg Carbohydrates: 30.7g Fiber: 4.9g Sugar: 6.7g Protein: 4.7g