Strawberry Lemon Fool
Hi Simply Stacie friends, Nicky here, calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary with a dessert recipe to set you up for summer!
This Strawberry Lemon Fool looks impressive enough to serve at any party or BBQ, but it’s so simple to make. You can even prepare it ahead.
Piles of soft, sweetened whipped cream, dotted with juicy amaretto-spiked strawberries and tangy lemon curd. I like to top mine with some crushed amaretto biscuits too – jus to compliment that almondy hint in the strawberries.
Speaking of strawberries – let’s have a closer look at them before and after sitting in a little granulated sugar:
I love serving this dessert in martini glasses – as it’s much easier to spoon in the layers without them getting too mixed up and smearing down the side of the glass.
If you’d prefer to serve them in drinking glasses or small kilner jars, it’s a good idea to use a piping bag (or sandwich bag with the corner cut out) to get the cream in there neatly.
You can swap out the berries for another fruit (banana slices with caramel sauce and chopped nuts anyone??) or even use cherry pie filling and top with a few fresh cherries. So good!
Strawberry Lemon Fool
Perfect for a summer party or BBQ! This luscious dessert is piled high with soft, sweetened whipped cream, dotted with juicy amaretto-spiked strawberries and tangy lemon curd and then topped with crushed amaretto biscuits.
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tbsp amaretto (optional – replace with water if you like)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 2 amaretti cookies (you can replace with shortbread or even graham crackers if you prefer), crumbled
- Lemon slices
- Place the strawberries in a bowl with the granulated sugar. Stir together and leave to macerate for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes add the amaretto or water and roughly crush the strawberries with a fork. Put to one side.
- Whisk the cream and confectioners’ sugar together so it’s thick and billowy, but not stiff.
- Take three glasses and layer the cream, spoonfuls of strawberry and dots of lemon curd. Sprinkle the top with crumbled amaretti and place a lemon slice on the edge of each glass before serving.
Note: You can make these 2-3 hours ahead, but sprinkle on the amaretti biscuits just before serving – otherwise they’ll go soft.