Dill-icious Bagel Recipe
I recently wrote a post for UrbanMoms and shared a recipe for Dill-icious Bagels created by Food Network Chef Bob Blumer. Well, it looked so good that I wanted to give it a try for myself! It’s a keeper and so darn easy. It gives regular plain cream cheese a little more flavour. All you need are cream cheese, cucumber, fresh dill, orange, salt, pepper and of course, bagels!
The first thing to do is to slice half a cucumber into very thin slices. Put the slices in a bowl and add salt. Then you mix it up with your hands until the cucumber releases water (about 1 minute).
The next thing to do is make the cream cheese mixture. Combine cream cheese, chopped fresh dill, orange zest and pepper together with a fork.
Toast your bagels the way you like them.
Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the toasted bagel.
Place cucumbers on top of the cream cheese and serve. Yum!
- 1 Dempster’s plain bagel
- ½ English cucumber or 1 field cucumber
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces crème cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, stems removed, minced + extra for garnish
- Zest of 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Peel and cut cuke into super-thin slices. Transfer to a small bowl and sprinkle with salt. Toss continuously for 1 minute or until slices start to release water (the brine). Let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes, then serve immediately or refrigerate.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to blend crème cheese, dill, zest and pepper. Reserve.
- To serve: Toast, and if you choose, lightly butter bagel. Top with cream cheese and cucumber slices. Garnish with dill.
- Remaining spread and pickles will last in the fridge for 5 days in tightly sealed containers. Yield: 1 serving + enough spread and pickles for 3 additional servings.