Layered pasta, creamy mushroom sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and olives are combined to make a perfect weekend supper. Spaghetti Casserole is a must-make recipe!
Growing up, we ate a lot of baked pasta casseroles. My mom was a big fan of them and this recipe for Spaghetti Casserole was one of her favorites.
Being the picky kid that I was, I hated it. That was normal for me since I disliked pretty much all foods except for a few things. Now that I’m an adult, I can see the appeal.
This casserole is delicious comfort food and is worth the bit of extra assembly required to make it.
It requires a few extra steps to prepare it. You have to cook the spaghetti noodles first as well as brown the ground beef. The veggies are chopped and cooked separately. That creamy sauce comes from a can – it’s cream of mushroom soup! I’m not a big fan of canned cream of mushroom soup, but I like it in this recipe.
It’s messy to eat but so good. It’s also huge so it serves a good amount of people. If your family is small, you’ll probably have some leftovers. It tastes just as good heated up the next day.
Why You’ll Love this Spaghetti Casserole
- Delicious dinner
- Meal for the whole family
- Can make ahead of time and in bulk
- Cheesy goodness
- Good as leftovers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Canned sliced mushrooms
- Black olives
- Lean ground beef
- Cooked spaghetti noodles
- Cheddar cheese
- Can of cream of mushroom soup
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Spaghetti Casserole
- Step One: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Step Two: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onions and green peppers and cook, stirring often, about 7 to 9 minutes, until beef is no longer pink and veggies are softened.
- Step Three: Add tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Step Four: Add half of the spaghetti to the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/2 of the tomato/beef mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese on top. Repeat these layers a second time.
- Step Five: In a small bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup and water. Pour evenly onto the casserole. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Step Six: Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Spaghetti Casserole
Although this could be a meal on its own, here are some options you could include for a side dish.
- Dinner rolls
- Easy Garlic Twists
- Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Best Broccoli Salad
- Wilted Spinach Salad
- Try substituting the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- You can replace spaghetti pasta noodles with other types of noodles.
- Instead of cheddar, substitute in mozzarella or another cheese of your choice.
- You can add in Italian sausages for more protein.
How to Store Leftovers
Spaghetti Casserole is best stored covered in the fridge for no more than 3 days.
Can I Freeze Baked Spaghetti Dish?
Yes, you can freeze Spaghetti Casserole as long as it is covered and eaten within 3 months to avoid freezer burn!
Easy Dinner Recipes
- Spaghetti Bake
- Spaghetti Pie
- Cheesy Hamburger Supper
- Beef Noodle Bake
- Mexican Spaghetti
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8oz/284ml) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 cups spaghetti noodles, cooked, divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 (10.5oz/284ml) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef, onions and green peppers and cook, stirring often, about 7 to 9 minutes, until beef is no longer pink and veggies are softened.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives and oregano. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half of the spaghetti to the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with 1/2 of the tomato/beef mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheddar cheese on top. Repeat these layers a second time.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup and water. Pour evenly on to the casserole. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 442Total Fat: 16.3gSaturated Fat: 7.3gTrans Fat: 0.3gUnsaturated Fat: 7.4gCholesterol: 63.7mgSodium: 719.7mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 3.5gSugar: 6.4gProtein: 27.7g