This Cheesy Hamburger Supper might remind you of a lasagna. It has the same cheesy tomato flavours, but the addition of cream cheese makes it even better!
The weather is getting colder and I find I’m making more comfort food. This Cheesy Hamburger Supper is packed full of YUM. It’s a meal in itself and very filling.
I added cream cheese making it extra creamy and delicious. It even tastes great heated up and served the next day.
My favorite part is all that oohey gooey cheese on top. This meal was a winner in my home even with my picky daughter. I’m sure if my other daughter were here she would like it, too. She’s away at university. Sniff, sniff.
Another thing I love about this dish is that it doesn’t require a lot of dishes so you won’t have a sink full of dishes after making this recipe.
If comfort food is your jam, you must try this recipe. It’s simple to make and the results are pure heaven. Enjoy!
Why You’ll This Cheesy Hamburger Supper
- Cheesy and meaty comfort food
- Easy to make
- Simple ingredients
- Hearty and filling
- Ready in under 1 hour
- Kids love it
This recipe is packed full of simple delicious ingredients that combine into a hearty and simply delicious meal. For this recipe you will need:
- Ground beef is a staple in most of my casserole dishes. You can also add other meats of your choice like chicken for a filling and heartier approach.
- Onions will add loads of flavor to the meat mixture.
- Sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic salt are the spices that are needed for the casserole. You can adjust the amounts to taste, but I recommend following the recipe as closely as possible to get the delicious flavors.
- Tomato Sauce will thicken up the casserole a little bit as well as add color and enrich the flavors a little bit more.
- Sour cream, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese will add a creamy texture to the casserole. The shredded cheddar cheese will add a huge cheesiness to the casserole dish.
- Egg noodles really bring this dish together. It adds a heartiness factor to the casserole. Egg noodles often have certain vitamins and minerals which increase their nutritional value.
How to Make Cheesy Hamburger Supper
Making this dish only requires 5 different steps and it also doesn’t require a lot of dishes.
- Step One: Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Step Two: Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat, until beef is cooked and the onions are softened. Add in the tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir.
- Step Three: In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, cottage cheese, and cream cheese.
- Step Four: Add ½ of the noodles to the casserole dish followed by ½ of the meat mixture and then all of the cheese mixture. Layer the last ½ of the noodles followed by the last ½ of the meat mixture.
- Step Five: Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake for an additional 3 minutes. Serve hot.
This post contains affiliate links.
Below you will find some of my favorite kitchen tools that will make this dish a lot easier to make.
- This casserole dish is what I like to use for all of my casserole dishes. It has so many other uses though. It also comes with a lid which makes storing leftovers a lot easier.
- These non-stick skillets are my favorite set and the different sizes mean these can be used for a lot of different things.
What to Serve with Cheesy Hamburger Supper
Substitutions and Variations
- The egg noodles can be replaced with any pasta of choice. I found that egg noodles are a bit more healthier since they are usually packed with different vitamins and minerals.
- Adding cooked chicken or more ground beef will add a bit more protein to this dish. If you choose to add chicken, it will also give the dish a bit of different flavor but still be delicious.
- Adding cooked veggies such as lettuce and tomatoes will make this seem like more of a hamburger but it may not be as kid-friendly then.
- The cottage cheese can be replaced with ricotta cheese.
Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes when you are ready to serve again.
Can I Freeze?
Yes, it can be frozen. You can fully layer the dish before adding the shredded cheese and then freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When you are ready to cook, thaw overnight in the fridge and cook in the oven according to the directions.
- Beef Noodle Bake
- Meatball Sub Casserole
- Cheesy BBQ Beef Casserole
- Pierogi Casserole
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Shipwreck Casserole
- Beef Nacho Bake
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 (8oz/250g) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium high heat, until beef is cooked and onions are softened. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Stir.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, cottage cheese and cream cheese.
- Add 1/2 of noodles to casserole dish followed by 1/2 of meat mixture and then all of the cheese mixture. Layer last 1/2 of noodles followed by last 1/2 of meat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 720Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 192mgSodium: 1307mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 41g