This fantastic Chicken and Sausage Soup is full of healthy ingredients making a delicious, hearty, and filling soup that is perfect for chilly weather. Using the slow cooker makes this recipe a breeze and will have your house smelling amazing!
There’s just something comforting about a home cooked meal on a cold day. The whole house smells delicious and by supper time, I’m practically salivating to dig in and eat.
I’ve made a lot of different recipes in the slow cooker using a variety of ingredients. One combination I hadn’t tried was chicken and beer. I’ve actually never cooked with beer so this was a first for me!
It was my first time using beer so I browsed through the Rickard’s site for some recipe inspiration. I landed on a recipe for Turkey and Sausage Chilli. I modified it a little and used ground chicken instead of turkey.
I also included a bean medley instead of edamame beans. I couldn’t find edamame beans at the grocery store. I figured it would be ok to improvise a little and put my own little twist on it.
The recipe called for fresh thyme which I also couldn’t find. I ended up using 1/2 tsp of dried thyme and hoped for the best!
My two bottles of Rickard’s Blonde were ready to go. It’s known for its classic golden colour and is a full-flavoured beer with a blend of malt and four different styles of hops. It also can be used for Beer Can Chicken…but get it in the can if you want to make that recipe!
I added in the Rickard’s last to my slow cooker and I was curious to see how it would taste when it was cooked.
As it was cooking, it smelled amazing!
It seemed more of a soup than chili to me so I’m calling mine Chicken and Sausage Soup. I could taste the flavour of the beer but without it tasting like alcohol. It was hearty and delicious! John ended up having second helpings. I will definitely make it again.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Sausage Soup
- Using the Slow Cooker or Crockpot means a super flavorful dish
- Slow Cooker meals means dinner hour is less stressful
- Using the Crockpot is actually a time and energy saver- you let the cooker do all the work all day, rather than you spending hours in the kitchen
- Clean up tends to be easier when making Slow Cooker Soup, especially if using a Slow Cooker liner
- You only need a handful of ingredients and some herbs and spices that will make the house smell fantastic as it cooks
- Ground chicken
- Italian sausageOnion
- Cloves garlic
- Red pepper
- Canned white kidney beans
- Chicken broth
- Dried thyme
- Bay leaves
How to Make Chicken and Sausage Soup
- Step One: Add the ground chicken to a pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chicken, stirring frequently to break up the meat, until fully cooked.
- Step Two: Do the same with the sausage to cook completely on the stove top. Transfer the meat to the slow cooker.
- Step Three: Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve hot.
What to Serve Chicken and Sausage Beer Soup
- A slice or two of Garlic Bread
- A nice big plate of a fantastic Fall Salad with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette
- A side of Cucumber Salad
- A serving of the Best Broccoli Salad
- Yummy Air Fryer Cauliflower
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- To make cleaning up even easier with this recipe, use a Crockpot Liner so all you have to do after transferring any leftovers to a container is to remove the liner and do a quick wipe out for any rare, but possible mess left in the cooker. No need to let the pot soak or hurt your elbow trying to scrub off anything that is cooked on the sides.
- You can pre cook your meat ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge so it makes most of the prep work done, making this more of a dump and go recipe.
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
- I used Rickard’s Blonde, but I also want to try this recipe using Rickard’s Lederhosen, Rickard’s White, Rickards Red and Rickard’s Dark. But you can try whatever beer you have on hand or prefer to drink.
- You can use whatever herbs and spice combination you prefer. Also feel free to use fresh herbs and spices, dried or ground, etc. Whatever you have on hand.
Any leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Can I Freeze this Sausage and Chicken Soup?
Absolutely! In fact, this is one of those recipes, I like to double it if my Slow Cooker can handle it and make an extra batch to freeze for later.
Once your soup has cooled down to room temperature, transfer it to a freezer safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months.
What other beans can I use?
You can really use any beans you prefer with this recipe. Kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and even black beans would all be great additions or substitutions that would taste perfect.
Can I swap veggies?
Sure, you can swap out veggies or any of the ingredients. This is a great soup base to work from. Sometimes when I want to change things up, I like to add diced tomatoes, green bell peppers, celery, and sometimes, I like to add some sweet potatoes or white potatoes to change things up.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Have you ever cooked your chicken with beer?
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb Italian sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 1/4 cups canned white kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 1/2 cups beer
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the ground chicken to a pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chicken, stirring frequently to break up the meat, until fully cooked.
- Do the same with the sausage to cook completely on the stove top. Transfer the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving. Serve hot.
I used a blonde beer.
You can also leave out the beer and use chicken broth in its place.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 958mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 38g