Slow Cooker Beef Brisket and Vegetable Soup is one hearty and comforting bowl of soup. Loaded with fall-apart tender brisket, potatoes, carrots, celery and more. This is the perfect slow cooker soup to whip up for dinner any day of the week.
I think it’s almost impossible to screw up a soup made in the slow cooker. On the stovetop, yes, it can be done. I’ve ruined several stovetop soups over the years. I’ve been lucky with the slow cooker though and they usually turn out great.
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket & Vegetable Soup
The furnace is on now and I’m looking for meals that will fill our bellies and keep us warm. A bowl of steaming hot soup fits the bill perfectly. This recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Brisket & Vegetable Soup is just what I need to warm my bones.
If my Grandma June were still around, she would approve of this recipe. She was a beef farmer and most meals were the typical meat and potato fare. I know she probably has a version of this recipe too. It reminds me of eating a meal at her place.
What If I Don’t Have a Brisket
You are welcome to swap brisket for a roast if you can’t find a brisket at your store. I know that depending on where you live they only get briskets certain times of the year. So consider swapping with any cut of roast for the replacement of brisket in this soup.
How Long Does It Take to Cook Slow Cooker Brisket Soup
If you cook your brisket soup on low you will find that it takes around 10 hours. If you opt to cook on high you will cook 6-7 hours on high. Brisket is tougher meat so it takes longer to break down as it cooks. If you pull it too soon you will find your meat will still be tough.
Now if you swap with a roast 6-8 hours on low and 4-6 hours on high is how you would convert the time.
How to Make Slow Cooker Brisket and Vegetable Soup
You will add your ingredients into your slow cooker and turn it on low and cook for 10 hours. When the beef is tender and cooked, you will shred it with a fork rather easily. Then after it is shredded place it back in and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so.
Then ladle up your hearty soup and enjoy. Salt and pepper to taste.
What to Serve with Brisket Soup
- Homemade dinner rolls
- Saltine crackers
- Side salad
- Bread and butter
Brisket soup is technically a meal in one, so feel free to eat alone or add it with your favorite side dish.
Does Beef Brisket Soup Freeze
This recipe also freezes well. Add 3 cups to freezer ziplock bags, seal, and freeze. Can store for up for 6-12 months. Thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to eat. Or you can toss in frozen with a little water to slowly heat it up.
You could also freeze your soup in single-serve containers for lunches on the go. This is a great way to meal plan for later on down the line.
Other soups to consider making
- Rosemary Chicken Noodle Soup | Whip up this incredible chicken noodle soup that has a nice hint of rosemary in every single bite. Give this hearty classic chicken noodle soup a try.
- Minestrone Soup | Hearty, savory and packed full of incredible flavor. Give this soup a try and sneak in some veggies for your kiddos.
- Italian Wedding Soup | This is made with chicken meatballs and is loaded with tons of flavor and hearty ingredients to soothe your bones. A fun recipe that the whole family can enjoy.
Can I Add Different Vegetables into my Brisket Soup
Yes, if you have other veggies on hand that you want to toss in go for it. I went for the classic veggies but feel free to improvise. You might find that green beans, corn or even sliced zucchini could be a nice twist in flavor to this soup.
How Long Does Brisket and Vegetable Soup Store in the Fridge
You will only be able to store your soup for up to three days. If you plan to wait, consider freezing all your extra soup for later on so it doesn’t go to waste.
Can I Double This Soup Recipe
Absolutely! Just ensure that you have a large enough slow cooker to hold the contents. Or you can opt to use multiple slow cookers or cook on the stovetop if need be.
What is your favourite cold weather soup?
- 2 pounds beef brisket
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut in half or chopped roughly
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 12 fingerling potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ⅛ tsp salt
- In a large slow cooker, add brisket, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, and mushrooms. Pour beef broth and water on top. Sprinkle thyme, black pepper, oregano, and salt over the top, and lightly mix with a fork (just to incorporate spices).
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, or high for 6-7 hours. When beef is cooked through, it should easily shred. Using 2 forks, shred beef in pot, and then cover and cook for about 10-20 more minutes on high.
- Serve and add salt and pepper to taste (if desired).
This recipe also freezes well. Add 3 cups to freezer ziplock bags, seal, and freeze. Can store for up for 6-12 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 160mgSodium: 722mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 47g