Herb Potato Salad
Fresh herbs and potatoes join forces to make this flavorful herb potato salad. Perfect for any gathering, pot-luck or the ultimate side dish.
Herb Potato Salad
Today I am talking potatoes. Mash, fry, or roast them, there are so many ways to use these tasty root vegetables. Once the weather starts to warm up outside, I especially like using them to make potato salads. Can’t you just picture going for a picnic on a sunny spring day with fresh herb potato salad in your basket?
OK, back to reality. Today, I am sharing a herb potato salad recipe that my mom would make for our family gatherings growing up. It is a vinegar based potato salad made with no mayonnaise and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare.
If you are like me and love fresh herbs, you may even grow some at home, this is a wonderful recipe for you. It is filled with fresh dill, chives and parsley. Yum! I really enjoy growing my own herbs at home. My kids have so much fun helping me take care of them. There is something satisfying about using ingredients that you grow. ***Did you know you can freeze fresh herbs? Chop the herbs and then place 1-2 tablespoons of the herbs into an ice cube tray compartment. Add 1 tablespoon of water or olive oil on top of the cut herbs in each ice cube compartment and freeze. Take the frozen herb cubes and place them in a freezer safe bag until ready to use.
Back to the potato salad. I like to use small red potatoes for this salad but small gold potatoes would be nice too. Cut them into 3/4 inch chunks and place in a pot full of cold water. Boil for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and set them aside to cool for at least 10 minutes. Be careful not to let them cook too long or they will become mushy in the salad.
Dice some sweet onions and saute in a skillet until tender. They will get mixed into the dressing. For the dressing, stir together vinegar, parsley, chives, dill, mustard and cooked onions. Pour in the cooked potatoes and toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill if you prefer a cold potato salad.
The soft, creamy potatoes, fresh herbs, whole-grain mustard and tangy vinegar makes this one flavorful salad. I hope you love this herb potato salad as much as my family. Enjoy!
What is your favourite potato salad recipe?
- 1.5 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 3/4 -inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped small
- 1/4 cup white vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- Place potatoes in a medium pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt and cover potatoes with cold water.
- Bring to water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a small skillet. Add onion and saute 5-6 minutes or until tender.
- In a bowl, mix together vinegar, parsley, chives, dill, mustard, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt and cooked onions. Stir in remaining olive oil.
- Add in warm potatoes and toss to coat.
- Serve warm or cover with cling wrap and chill until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 562mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g