Baked Chicken & Tarragon Pasta
One of my go-to spots for yummy family recipes is the Shopping with Chicken App. Not only does it have loads of amazing recipes to browse through, but it also simplifies my grocery shopping too. I was looking for a comforting family meal that could be prepped ahead of time and stumbled on a recipe for Baked Chicken & Rosemary Pasta. The picture looked so tasty and I already had most of the ingredients already. Plus, I could make it on the weekend and then pop it in the oven for dinner after the girls are home from school.
I normally do my grocery shopping on the weekends and use the Shopping with Chicken App list feature. You can find a recipe you like and then click the plus sign to add it to your shopping list. Easy peasy!
Baked Chicken & Tarragon Pasta
For this particular recipe, I was in search of fresh rosemary. Unfortunately our grocery store didn’t have any so I improvised and changed it up a little bit. I’m calling it Baked Chicken & Tarragon Pasta. Fresh tarragon was available and I figured it would be just as good.
And I was right. It was delish!
Because weeknights are so busy with lessons and other after school activities, doing a little prep work ahead of time is a smart idea. I find it makes the week go a lot smoother if you plan your dinners and get yourself organized. I made the sauce and cooked the pasta the day before and assembled the dish in my large casserole dish. It went into the fridge till I was ready to heat it up in the oven. It bakes in only 15 minutes so is a very fast meal to prepare if you’ve already done the little bit of legwork.
And boy is it good! I made ours a little on the spicy side and used both the cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes. If you’re family isn’t so “hot” for spices, tone it down by either omitting both or using just one.
It’s a large casserole and will easily feed a family of four. We each had a bowl and were stuffed afterwards. It’s very filling. I saved the leftovers for lunch the next day and it was yummy! Plus, I like knowing that my family is eating healthy with Chicken Raised by a Canadian Farmer. Make sure you look for the logo on the chicken at your grocery store.
Do you ever do any weekend prep for your weekday meals?
Baked Chicken and Tarragon Pasta
This savoury casserole will easily feed a family of four. It’s a little on the spicy side, but oh so yummy!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chile pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
- 3 cups fusilli pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 15 Kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and chicken and saute until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, pasta sauce and cream and stir. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, Kalamata olives, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley and tarragon. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Cook the pasta according to package directions until “al dente”. Drain and add it to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Spray a large casserole dish (about 3 quarts) with cooking spray. Spread the pasta mixture in the dish. Cover with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and a golden brown. Serve hot.
Inspired by Chicken Farmers of Canada recipe.
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.