Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup
Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup is hearty and comforting. It will fill your belly and warm your soul and is a crowd-pleasing favorite.
Hi everyone, it’s Nicky, calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary with a seriously comforting supper.
Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup
A large bowl of this creamy chicken, rice and mushroom soup and all your worries will disappear. At least until you’ve finished the bowl anyway 🙂
This is a hearty soup! It’s perfect for those cold days where you just don’t want to go outside. Stay indoors and make a big pot of hot, delicious soup.
The addition of the rice bulks it up to an almost risotto-like meal (without the constant stirring though). The wild rice adds a subtle nutty flavor that tastes amazing with the mushroom and gruyere.
If you wanted to go veggie, just throw in a few more mushrooms and leave out the chicken entirely.
You could also throw in a few green veggies during the last few minutes of cooking to add to your five-a-day. A few of my favorite additions include spinach, frozen peas or asparagus. Look in your fridge and see what you have on hand.
If you’re a meat lover – like my husband – you could also sprinkle on some fried pancetta at the end – so bad, yet so good! No pancetta? Try some cooked bacon!
How to Make Chicken, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup
The first step is to heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the mushrooms until they are nice and browned. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter and fry the onions and celery until softened. Add in flour and stir with a whisk until the flour is incorporated with the veggies and butter. This will help to thicken the soup.
Turn the heat up to high and pour in the milk while continuing to whisk.
Add the rice and white wine and stir to combine. Add in the stock and dried thyme and stir. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times during cooking.
Test the rice to make sure it’s done.
Stir in the salt, pepper, lemon juice, cream, cheese, cooked chicken and mushrooms. Heat until the soup is hot and top with fresh parsley, if desired.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Craving more soup? I’ve got some recipes for you to check out.
- Cream of Celery Soup: Creamy and flavorful! This easy soup recipe is so much better than the canned stuff.
- Cream of Carrot Soup: Smooth, creamy and full of flavor. This delicious soup recipe is great any time of year.
- Busy Day Soup: An easy soup recipe your family will love! It’s quick to make and takes little effort. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Cheeseburger Chowder: Hearty and comforting! A big bowl of this delicious chowder will keep you warm on a cold day.
Would you like a bowl to enjoy?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium sized mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup basmati and wild rice blend (or long grain and wild rice blend)
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock (water plus a couple of stock cubes is fine)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- ½ packed cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 cups leftover cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and fry the mushrooms on a medium heat until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the same pan, and fry the onions and celery for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the flour to the pan, and stir together using a whisk, until the flour is incorporated with the vegetables and butter. Turn the heat up to high, and pour in the milk in a slow stream, whilst stirring with the whisk, until the milk is completely mixed in.
- Add the rice and white wine, and stir. Then add in the stock and dried thyme and stir again. Bring to gentle bubble and simmer for 20 minutes – stirring 2 or 3 times during cooking. Test the rice – it should be cooked at this point (give it a couple more minutes if it needs it).
- Add in the salt, pepper, lemon juice, cream, cheese, cooked chicken and the mushrooms. Stir together and test for seasoning. If you prefer your soup a little thinner, you can stir in a splash of milk.
- Heat until the chicken is warmed through, then serve topped with fresh parsley.
- Cuisinart 766-24 Chef's Classic 8-Quart Stockpot with Cover
- OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391 Total Fat: 18.2g Saturated Fat: 8.6g Trans Fat: 0.2g Unsaturated Fat: 8.2g Cholesterol: 72.4mg Sodium: 459.8mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2.5g Sugar: 5.7g Protein: 25g