Tex Mex Lunch Bowl
Spicy chicken Tex Mex Lunch Bowl – make it in advance for lunch!
Hi Everyone, Nicky here from Kitchen Sanctuary with a spicy salad recipe that’ll make your co-workers jealous come lunchtime!
I know how easy it is to default to a regular salad of leaves, tomato and cucumber. Maybe a bit of protein to jazz it up such as egg, chicken, ham or tuna.
I find myself doing this too often because I’m in a rush.
I’ll tell you now – I’m always disappointed – which results in a trip to the cupboard for crisps or biscuits!
Tex Mex Lunch Bowl
Well it’s time to put those consolation biscuits away, because this Tex-Mex salad will totally satisfy those tastebuds!
Make the chicken and tortilla strips ahead and you can throw it all together with a pile of fresh veg. I love to use crunchy peppers and avocado – but anything goes. How about spiralized carrot and cucumber? Maybe some beans or sweetcorn too.
An extra timesaver is to make fajitas for dinner, save some cooked chicken and make this for tomorrow’s lunch at the same time. Just try not to raid the fridge for it come supper time. 🙂
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into bite-size chunks
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 large flour tortilla, sliced into strips (approx. 2 inches long x ½ inch wide)
- 2 cups of cooked rice (cold or hot – whatever you prefer. I like it cold in this salad)
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ¼ small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, de-stoned and chopped into small chunks
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Brush a large griddle pan with a little oil and preheat until very hot. Whilst the griddle is heating, mix the chicken with 1+1/2 tbsp of the oil, 1+ ½ tbsp of the fajita seasoning and the salt and pepper. Place the chicken on the griddle in a single layer and cook – turning once – until slightly charred and cooked all the way through (about 6-8 minutes).
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, heat up a small skillet with the remaining oil on a high heat. When it’s very hot, add the tortilla slices to the oil. Fry for approx. one minute until golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon and place on some kitchen paper to drain off any excess fat. Sprinkle with the remaining fajita seasoning.
- Divide the rice between two bowls. Arrange the sliced peppers, avocado, tomatoes, scallions and lettuce on top. Finally place the cooked chicken and fried tortilla strips on top.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients and serve with the Tex-Mex salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 977Total Fat: 67gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 56gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 1019mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 12gSugar: 8gProtein: 14g