Bacon and Potato Quiche
My Grandma June was proud of her Irish heritage and I know she would approve of this simple brunch recipe for Bacon and Potato Quiche! She passed away in 2012 and I think of her every day. I really miss her!
Grandma June loved her meat and potatoes. You pretty much knew when you went to her house that potatoes would probably be on the menu. And beef. Grandma June’s life partner, Clarence, was (and still is) a beef farmer. She had a freezer stocked full of beef from his farm.
Though this recipe doesn’t include beef, it does have one of her favourite veggies. I normally make frittatas, but had some Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust to use up so quiche it is.
The filling was delicious – creamy, cheesy and fragrant from the fresh herbs. John didn’t care for the crust too much so I might turn it into the frittata when I make it again. I liked the crust and thought it was delicious. He’s picky picky.
Try this recipe for a St. Patrick’s day brunch – maybe serve with some potato bread to complete the meal! Check out these 14 traditional Irish dishes for some more suitable suggestions.
You might also like this Hamburger Quiche.
Are you planning anything special for St. Patrick’s day this year?
- 1 refrigerated 9 inch pie crust
- 1 375g package of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a 9 inch pie plate with refrigerated pie crust, pressing to fit. Prick the bottom with a fork. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Scoop bacon onto a paper towel lined plate. Drain grease, leaving about 1 tbsp in the skillet.
- Add onions, potatoes and thyme to skillet and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk half and half, eggs and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Spread cheddar cheese on the bottom of the pie crust. Top with bacon and veggie mixture. Pour in egg mixture and top with chives.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake in a 375F preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 226mgSodium: 1432mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g