Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Feta
Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic, and Feta are the perfect side dish to serve for dinner tonight. Crispy outside with a fluffy and potato center, that is flavored with lemon, garlic, and feta.
Hi All! Nicky here, calling in from Kitchen Sanctuary with an easy and delicious recipe for smashed potatoes. This smashed potato recipe is so easy to make, and is great for weeknight meals or serving guests.
Smashed Potatoes with Lemon, Garlic and Feta
Soft on the inside, crisp and salty on the outside, and loaded with fresh summer toppings, these potatoes will go with pretty much anything.
I love to serve them as a side dish when we have a BBQ (they go particularly well with chicken skewers and a nice big salad). They’re also fab on their own with a nice chilled glass of beer.
These potatoes have been finished off with garlic-infused oil, then topped with feta, lemon zest and chives for a bit of a Greek feel.
Some other great alternatives include:
- Crispy bacon bits and crumbled strong cheddar
- Parmesan and a few chili flakes
- Chopped green onions and sour cream
I can guarantee that when you serve these up, at least one will have mysteriously disappeared on the short journey from the oven to the table!
What Potatoes Do You Use for Smashed Potatoes
You want to use baby potatoes, preferably yellow or white. Baby potatoes are round and offer a really fluffy and work great for these smash potatoes. You can even use red potatoes as well or do a mix for a variety in flavor.
Searching for more potato recipes
- Smothered Potatoes | This smothered potatoes recipe is hearty, cheesy, and incredible. Sliced potatoes loaded with ingredients, cheese and more.
- Irish Potatoes | Creamy, flavorful Irish potatoes are a great dish to pair with your dinner. Give this Irish potato recipe a try to change up your recipe.
- Swiss Potatoes | A potato casserole that is going to win over your family or a crowd. I love serving this up for guests because it is minimal prep and hearty and offers a stunning presentation value.
Pro Tips for Making the Best Smashed Potatoes
- Small Potatoes | Reach for the smaller sized potatoes. They will work the best, and you can use any of the varieties.
- Skins | Leave those skins on, this will add even more flavor and texture to your smashed potatoes.
- Pre-Cook Potatoes | You will cook the potatoes for a bit so that when they go in the oven they will crisp out the outside, and have tender and fluffy potatoes on the inside.
How Long Will Smashed Potatoes Store in the Fridge
You can store these potatoes for up to five days in the fridge. They will lose some of the crunchy texture but they will stay taste incredibly flavorful.
Can I Make Potatoes Ahead of Time
You can cook up your whole potatoes two days before you plan to roast them. Just cook them up in the water as directed, drain and then store in the fridge. Then when you are ready to roast prepare them as directed. Add additional time to the cooking time since the potatoes are cold.
Best Way to Reheat Smashed Potatoes
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Then place potatoes on a greased pan and bake in the oven until they are warmed up. This will help bring back some crispy texture. If you don’t want to use the oven you can opt to use the microwave instead. It won’t give them as crispy of texture but still, taste great.
I have also used them on the stove in a skillet. They are great for hash or even cooked up for breakfast.
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
You want to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then add a tablespoon of oil and spread over the pan. You will put your potatoes in a pan with cold water. Bring the potatoes to a boil an then let them simmer for a bit and then drain.
Place potatoes on a baking tray, and then squash the potatoes with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Then brush with oil. Then create your topping and put on potatoes, and bake for 15-20 minutes. You want the potatoes to be nice and crispy.
Once you remove your potatoes you can top with lemon zest, chives, and feta. Then you can sprinkle with salt and pepper.
What to Pair with Smashed Potatoes
You can pair with almost anything. Seafood, chicken, pork, steak, roast and more. These smashed potatoes are rather versatile. The lemon and feta add a new flavor element that helps them stand out!
What If I Don’t Have Feta Cheese
If you don’t have feta cheese you can skip the cheese or opt for parmesan or even mozzarella cheese to top your potatoes. It is totally up to you on if you add cheese or not.
Have you tried Smashed Potatoes?
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5 lbs baby white potatoes (or fingerlings)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Small bunch of chives, chopped finely
- Preheat the oven to 400F and brush a large metal baking tray with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil. Put to one side.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through. Drain.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared baking tray, then squash each one down with the back of a wooden spoon. You want the skin to split and the potatoes to squash down, but not completely break apart. Brush 1 tbsp of oil on the potatoes, pay particular attention to any edges (this will give the edges a nice crunch).
- Mix the remaining tbsp of oil with the crushed garlic and put to one side to infuse.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper and paprika onto the potatoes and place in the oven for 15–20 minutes – until the potatoes are crispy and golden. Then brush the garlic infused oil onto the potatoes and put back into the oven for a further two minutes.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle on the crumbled feta, lemon zest, chives and a little more black pepper, then serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 283mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g