Cabbage Roll Soup is perfect for people who love to eat Cabbage Rolls, but don’t have the time (or patience) to make them. Because let’s face it. They ain’t easy!
This week I’m participating in the Food Bloggers Challenge! I was tasked to create a recipe using the feature ingredient of the week. This week it’s cabbage and I’m making a yummy Cabbage Roll Soup.
It’s been awhile since I’ve used cabbage in our meals. It’s not that I don’t like cabbage because I do enjoy it. I think it’s just that my favourite recipes don’t use it as a main ingredient.
I’ve made cabbage rolls in the past and they were the first thing I thought to make this week. The recipe I like is for unrolled cabbage rolls made with ground turkey. My aunt makes the best cabbage rolls and hers are rolled perfectly. When I tried her recipe, they did not turn out as pretty!
Cabbage Roll Soup
This Cabbage Roll Soup is everything I love about a cabbage roll, but easier to make. It’s also made in the slow cooker which saves me from slaving over the stove all day. It’s slow cooker weather right now anyways and this soup is perfect to eat on a frosty day.
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup
This recipe starts out in the frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, ground beef and salt to a large skillet. Brown the ground beef and soften the onions.
Now it’s time to bring out your slow cooker. Mine always is on my counter. Add the cabbage, oregano, basil, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and ground beef mixture. Stir to combine.
Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Your house is going to smell soooo good.
Thanks to our friends at Stroller Envy for designing this graphic.
In the last half hour, cook the rice and add it to the slow cooker. If you add it earlier, it will get mushy.
What to Serve with Cabbage Roll Soup
Though Cabbage Roll Soup is filling on its own, it’s always nice to have something a little extra to enjoy it with. Try a buttered dinner roll to sop up all that delicious savoury broth. It’s also yummy with a grilled cheese sandwich for a satisfying lunch.
To make it creamy, add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl and swirl it around. Soooo good!
Can You Freeze Cabbage Roll Soup
Yes, you can freeze Cabbage Roll Soup. In fact, it’s very freezer-friendly. Stock up your deep freezer so you can enjoy this easy soup recipe all winter long. It makes a great lunch to bring to work with you. So hearty and filling.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
This post contains affiliate links.
Looking for more delicious slow cooker recipes? Check out these Slow Cooker Recipes for Beginners.
How to Make Cabbage Roll Soup Low Carb
Easy peasy! If you are wanting to make Cabbage Roll Soup a low carb meal, just omit the rice. It’s not that big of a deal and you’ll still have the same delicious flavors. Rice will not make or break this soup recipe.
More Soup Recipes
Craving more soup recipes? I got you covered. Check out these yummy soups:
- Busy Day Soup: An easy soup recipe your family will love! It’s quick to make and takes little effort. Perfect for those busy weeknights.
- Cream of Carrot Soup: Smooth, creamy and full of flavor. This delicious soup recipe is great any time of year.
- Cream of Celery Soup: Creamy and flavorful! This easy soup recipe is so much better than the canned stuff.
- Sausage & Cabbage Soup: This low carb soup is easy to make and tastes delish! It’s comfort food perfect for a cold winter’s day.
- Hamburger Soup: My version of my grandma’s favorite soup. It’s hearty, filling and flavorful. Enjoy a piping hot bowl on a cold winter’s day.
- 4 cups cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- 680 mL can tomato sauce (or about 3 cups)
- 796 mL can diced tomatoes (or about 4 cups)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- Add onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, ground beef and salt to a skillet on medium heat. Cook until the ground beef is browned (about 7 to 10 minutes).
- In a 6 quart slow cooker, add cabbage, oregano, basil, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and ground beef mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- In last half hour of cooking, cook the rice according to package directions. Add the cooked rice to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 2.1gSaturated Fat: 0.9gTrans Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 33.9mgSodium: 426.3mgCarbohydrates: 17.5gFiber: 2.9gSugar: 5.6gProtein: 14.9g