Classic Carrot Cake Recipe

Last month I shared a new website that’s a baker’s dream come true: Robin Hood Baking Centre. There you can find a huge variety of scrumptious recipes both savoury and sweet! I found a recipe for Classic Carrot Cake that is perfect for fall. It’s moist, rich and really doesn’t get any better than this. I think spiced cakes are very fitting for fall.

It’s also very simple to make. It’s basically just making the two cakes and combining them into one at the end along with a layer of sweet, smooth and creamy icing. It tastes even better the next day!

I made it with Robin Hood® Nutri Flour Blend Tastes Like White that adds two grams of fibre per serving. After making this cake, I doubt I’ll ever go back to store bought cakes again. Baking from scratch is just so much better!

Classic Carrot Cake

• 1 cup cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp milk, if necessary

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9″ cake pans

2. Beat oil and sugars together in a large bowl of an electric mixer, until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Classic Carrot Cake

3. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate large bowl. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix just until combined. Fold in carrots. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.

Classic Carrot Cake

Classic Carrot Cake

4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.

5. Cool in pans on wire cooling rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire cooling rack.

Classic Carrot Cake

6. For the icing, cream butter and cream cheese in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Add icing sugar, 1 cup at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add vanilla. Continue beating until fluffy. Add 1 tbsp milk at a time to thin out (if necessary).

7. Place one cake on serving dish. Spread with icing. Top with remaining cake. Spread top with remaining icing.

Makes 16 servings.

Classic Carrot Cake Recipe

Classic Carrot Cake Recipe

2014 Holiday Gift Guide

Comments

1. Soozle says

There is something so perfect about a carrot cake with cream cheese icing! This one sounds quite decedent! I may try recreating with a little sub-ing to decrease the oil!

2. scott macmillan says

One of my all time favorite treats.The recipe is explained in a way that even a sometime baker like myself could do it.Thanks.

3. Rebecca Parsons says

I love a good moist carrot cake and I have yet to make that happen. I would love to try this it looks so good and way better than mine has ever turned out.

4. Jane Ritz says

That’s my daughters favorite. I will try this recipe. I don’t really like the one I have. I think this one will be more moist than mine.

This carrot cake looks lovely and I will be making it.I think I have a craving for it now.I don’t bake as much in the summer months as I do in the fall.Thanks for sharing this.

I love carrot cake alot but dont think I ever made one that I recall – to afraid I would mess it up I guess – dont sound hard to do tho – may try it -thanks

7. loriag says

Yum, I have not made Carrot Cake for a long time, I think it is about time, thank you for sharing this recipe.

8. Terri S says

Ohhhh…I wish that piece of cake in the pic was right in front of me! It looks so good! Thank you for sharing!

9. M.Clark says

I am an admitted Chocoholic, when I eat cake it’s either chocolate cake or cheesecake, but I do love carrot cake as well. Thank you for posting this recipe.

10. Nena Sinclair says

Carrot Cake is my favorite cake, by far! Dangerous, though, I could eat the whole thing by myself, I can’t resist it! I’ll be making this very soon! Thanks for sharing! ;)

11. Rosie says

Carrot cake with icing is my favorite! I’ve never heard of this flour and would like to try it. A nice recipe for the holidays (if I don’t eat it all!!)

Carrot Cake is my man’s favorite and I have never ever made one. I pinned your recipe so I can surprise him some day. With your pictures and step instructions I think I just might pull it off.

this carrot cake looks so good and yummy and easy to make. I love collecting recipes and baking in the winter when the oven is so nice and it warms up the house with decadent smells. Thanks for recipe.

14. Lynda Cook says

I love making carrot cake, but I don’t make it to often because no one else in the house likes it, so I either have to eat all myself or send it to friends