Mushroom Steak has tender steak, mushrooms and onions that are enveloped in a sweet and savory gravy. This easy dinner recipe pairs nicely with mashed potatoes to sop up all the delicious gravy.
Mushroom Swiss Steak
I was planning on using regular round steak for this recipe and letting it slow cook on the stove to get super tender. However, I saw the round sandwich steak at the grocery and my recipe plans changed as they often do.
Actually, it was a nice switch because the meal came together much quicker and was easier for my fiancé to chew. He sometimes has trouble chewing thicker cuts of meats.
This recipe is crazy fast to put together – only 20 minutes from prep to serving. It’s perfect on those nights when you don’t feel like making a huge meal that takes forever to prepare.
The steak is melt-in-your-mouth tender and full of flavour. The “gravy” or sauce is savory with a little sweetness thanks to the addition of ketchup.
I added some fresh parsley to finish it off, but you could totally skip it. It won’t make a difference in the taste.
Mushroom Swiss Steak Ingredients
To get this recipe started, you’ll need the following ingredients.
- Vegetable Oil
- Round sandwich steak
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley (optional)
What is Consomme
Consomme is basically clarified beef broth. You can buy it in cans and it’s usually located with the beef broth in the grocery store. To make it, they simmer egg whites with beef broth and then strain away the impurities.
If you can’t find it, you could always use regular beef broth.
How to Make Mushroom Swiss Steak
It’s super simple! Start by stirring the flour and salt together in a bowl. Cover the steaks in the flour mixture.
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Brown steaks on both sides. They shouldn’t take too long because they are already so thin. Remove the steaks from the skillet and set aside.
Add the consomme, 1/2 cup water, ketchup, mustard, onions and mushrooms to the skillet and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium low.
In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water. Add this mixture to the skillet and whisk to combine. Cook for 7 minutes while continuing to whisk often.
Return the steaks to the skillet. Heat for another 5 minutes or until steaks are heated through. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
These kitchen tools will help you make this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Mushroom Swiss Steak
This is what my grandma would call a “meat and potatoes” recipe. It pairs beautifully with mashed potatoes and I highly recommend putting the mashed potatoes on the plate and then piling the steak and sauce on top. So tasty!
Some other side dish ideas include:
More Steak Recipes
- Chimichurri Steak Salad
- Steak Stir-Fry & Mediterranean Style Grilled Rib Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
What would you serve with your Mushroom Swiss Steak?
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lb round sandwich steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 1 10oz can consomme
- 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish, optional
- In a bowl, stir together flour and 1 tsp salt. Cover steaks in the flour mixture.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Brown steaks on both sides. Remove steaks from skillet and set aside.
- To the skillet, stir together consomme, 1/2 cup water, ketchup, mustard, onions and mushrooms. Reduce heat to medium low.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and 1/2 cup water. Add mixture to skillet and whisk to combine. Cook for 7 minutes, whisking often.
- Return steaks to skillet. Heat for another 5 minutes, or until steaks are heated. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 812mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 29g