Whip up this quick, easy, and tasty copycat of Bailey’s Homemade Irish Cream in just 5 minutes, combining Irish Whiskey with a silky, smooth liqueur for this season’s best homemade gift. Not only is it delightful on its own, but it’s also the perfect addition to coffee, desserts, and cocktails for extra indulgence.
Whether you want to make the best mixed drinks for your parties or you want to give a thoughtful homemade gift this year, this Irish cream recipe is perfect for you. It uses ingredients that are easy to find, and there are just two steps – mix and store.
No more having to run to the liquor store to buy Irish cream. Now you can make it right at home! And you won’t believe how simple it is.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Irish Cream
- Easy to use. Elevate any drink by adding a splash of this homemade cream.
- Perfect homemade gift. Store it in a decorative jar and give it as a hostess gift.
- Amazing flavor. Make a delicious drink in seconds by adding Irish cream’s rich, creamy flavors.
- Easy recipe. The blender does all the work.
The full printable recipe card with measurements and instructions is found at the bottom of the post.
This delicious drink tastes delicious on its own or added to your favorite coffee or cocktail. And this simple recipe tastes just like the original Irish cream liqueur.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: This adds the perfect balance of cream and sweetness.
- Jameson Irish Whiskey: This is the original whiskey used in Bailey’s, so you must use it in yours.
- Heavy Cream: If you have access to fresh cream, use it. If not, heavy whipping cream works well.
- Cocoa Powder: This gives the drink the chocolate flavors.
- Instant Coffee Granules: This is an essential ingredient because it gives the drink the coffee flavor it’s known for.
- Vanilla Extract: This fills the drink with the smooth vanilla flavors people love.
How to Make Homemade Irish Cream
- Step One: To your blender, add all of the ingredients.
- Step Two: Blend until well combined.
- Step Three: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use, up to 4 days.
This post contains affiliate links.
- Blender – If you don’t have a blender, an immersion blender will work. If you don’t have that, whisk it by hand, but make sure it is thoroughly mixed.
- Airtight Container – Store it in an airtight, spill-proof container that you can shake.
What to Serve with Homemade Irish Cream
Since this is Irish cream, serving with your other favorite Irish recipes is a good option.
- Make Non-Alcoholic. Leave out the whiskey and add a dash of almond extract – now you can add it to your coffee.
- Lighter. Use half and half instead of heavy cream.
- Richer. Use Dutch-process cocoa powder for a richer flavor.
- Vodka. You could make this with vodka instead of whiskey. It won’t taste like the original but it will still taste delicious.
Store leftover Irish cream in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days.
Homemade Irish Cream Tips and Tricks
- Be careful when you blend the ingredients. If you use high speed on your blender, it will whip or curdle it. So use low speed.
- Enjoy it on the rocks or mixed into your favorite coffee
- Store it in a decorative jar and give it as a gift.
How To Serve
Serve homemade Irish cream on the rocks – it tastes fantastic with some ice. Or stir it into your coffee or hot chocolate for a warm cocktail.
You can also mix it into your favorite cocktails. It tastes incredible in White Russians or a chocolate martini.
What Bottles Should I Use?
No matter which bottle you store it in, the bottle should be spill-proof. As the drink sits in the refrigerator, it tends to separate. So, you’ll just have to give it a good shake to mix it back up again.
I suggest storing it in some pretty swing-top bottles if you’re giving it as a gift.
Can I Use Regular Coffee Instead of Instant Coffee Granules?
No, do not try to make this with regular coffee. You should use instant coffee or instant espresso granules to get that coffee flavor. They dissolve in the drink so much better.
What Is A Liqueur?
A liqueur is a sweetened alcoholic beverage typically flavored with various fruits, herbs, spices, nuts, flowers, or other natural flavors. The sweetness in liqueurs is usually achieved by adding sugar or syrup, which balances the intense flavors and aromas of the added ingredients. Bailey’s Irish Cream is considered a liqueur because it is sweetened with sugar.
What Type Of Whiskey To Use?
Bailey’s Irish cream is traditionally made with Irish Whiskey. And the best Irish whiskey you can buy is Jameson. Even if you don’t use Jameson, you should still use Irish whiskey. It has a smooth and slightly sweet flavor profile.
Anytime is a good time. Since it is an Irish drink, it’s even more appropriate on St. Patrick’s Day.
It will stay fresh for about four days in the refrigerator.
In addition to Bailey’s, there are some others that people love. Brands like Kerrygold, Coole Swan, and Dolan’s all stand out as top-shelf choices.
This recipe makes about 32 ounces.
Want more delicious drinks? Here are some of my favorites:
Homemade Irish Cream
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup Jameson Irish Whiskey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until well combined and smooth.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.