This Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole is the sweetest way to start your day. Bites of donut are marinated in a creamy egg mixture, drizzled with homemade caramel, then baked until golden.
I think we can all agree that make-ahead breakfasts are life saving during the holidays. I mean, what’s better than preparing a meal in advance and getting a fresh, hot breakfast first thing in the morning?
Say hello to probably one of the best make-ahead breakfasts of all time: Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole. This casserole is so easy to prepare and the result is a decadent, sweet, delicious, and hearty breakfast that everyone will love.
Why You’ll Love Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole
- Perfect make-ahead option. All you have to do in the morning is pop the casserole in the oven, wait for it to bake, then dig in!
- Simple ingredients. Just 5 ingredients for the casserole and 6 ingredients for the caramel.
- Sweet and indulgent. I mean…donuts and caramel sauce? It doesn’t get better than that.
- Donuts – You’ll need 6 plain donuts broken into bite-sized pieces.
- Eggs and Milk – The base for our batter.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds flavor depth and warmth.
- Salt – Cuts the sweetness and enhances the flavor of the casserole.
- Caramel Sauce – You can use store-bought caramel sauce if preferred, but I love to whip up homemade caramel sauce.
How to Make Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole
This decadent breakfast casserole takes just 20 minutes to prep…including the homemade caramel! Here’s a quick summary of the recipe:
- Step One: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and salt.
- Step Two: Arrange donut pieces in the bottom of a greased baking dish, then cover with the egg mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Step Three: To make the caramel, heat brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, and salt in a saucepan. Stir until the butter is melted and bubbling, then remove from the heat. Add in ¼ cup heavy cream, stir to combine, then add the remaining cream. Cool for a few minutes, then pour over the prepared donut mixture.
- Step Four: Bake the assembled casserole at 350ºF until hot and golden-brown.
You need just a couple of basic kitchen tools to whip up this recipe!
This post contains affiliate links.
What to Serve with Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole
You can serve this breakfast casserole on its own or fill out your meal with any of your favorite breakfast recipes!
Since this recipe is so sweet, I love to pair it with more savory breakfast options like biscuits and gravy, BBQ eggs, or bacon and potato quiche.
For a sweet option, try it with pecan butter tarts.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Plan ahead. For that perfectly soft texture, the casserole needs plenty of time to sit in the fridge before baking. I recommend assembling it the night before serving so it can soak overnight in the fridge!
- Grease the pan. This helps prevent the donuts from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Watch the caramel closely. It’s easy to overcook and burn the caramel or turn it into a hard
- candy. Keep a close eye on it!
- Customize. There are a few ways you can switch up this breakfast casserole to fit your tastes. Try another flavor of donut, swap the caramel for chocolate, use different nuts, you name it.
Leftover breakfast casserole will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, simply place into an oven safe baking dish, cover with foil, and bake until heated through.
Can I freeze this breakfast casserole?
You sure can! To freeze your casserole, simply let it cool completely, then wrap it tightly and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to serve, thaw in the fridge or on the counter, then reheat.
More Sweet Breakfast Casseroles You’ll Love
- Apple Cinnamon Bun Breakfast Casserole
- Banana Bread Breakfast Casserole
- Eggnog Breakfast Casserole
- Apple Pie French Toast Casserole
Follow me on Instagram @simplystacieblog, Facebook at Simply Stacie, TikTok @simplystacierecipes or Pinterest at @simplystacie and let me know how you liked this recipe and my other recipes.
If you make the recipe, rate it on the recipe card below and tag me on Instagram and use #simplystacie. I like sharing the photos on my Instagram stories!
Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole
This is the ultimate breakfast casserole – the base is donuts! Combined with a sweet caramel and pecan topping, this easy recipe is a special occasion indulgence.
- 6 plain donuts, broken up into bite sized pieces
- 7 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a Corningware CW 3-qt. Pool Baker with cooking spray. Arrange donut pieces to cover the bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Pour evenly over donuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To prepare the caramel, heat brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir till the butter is melted. Remove from heat once mixture starts to bubble all over.
- Add in 1/4 cup heavy cream and stir to combine. Then add the last 1/4 of heavy cream and stir to combine. Let cool a few minutes before pouring over your desired amount on the donut mixture. You can save extra for serving. Sprinkle pecans on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 209mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 9g
Kelly Greenwood says
I think I’ll be making eggs, bacon and biscuits for breakfast that day.
Wanda Tracey says
I will be making bacon and sunny side up eggs,toast,and hash browns.It’s our favorite way of having breakfast.
Miz Helen says
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate!
Elva Roberts says
Since this giveaway is over, I feel I may comment on this wonderful dish. This would be a wonderful dish for Easter Morning or Christmas Morning or some other special day. Thank you so much for this recipe. I have saved the recipe.
Donna Paxton says
Caramel Pecan Breakfast Casserole Is this make with glazed donuts or with cake donuts?
I used plain cake donuts. Glazed should work though too.
Justine Swan says
Question…. do you have to let it soak over night or could you cut that time?
You don’t have to let it sit overnight. You could do it all in the same day and it will be fine.
My Mother made a very similar dish for us, but she used Portuguese Sweet bread and Macadamia or Walnuts instead. “I miss Mama’s cooking!!” And “MAHALO” for Sharing your recipes!! Aloha!!
This was delicious! So perfect around the holiday’s when you want to impress with minimal effort. Thanks for sharing.
What a great dish. Next time I will make two because everyone LOVED it.